SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Monitoring on a Budget

Monitoring on a Budget

Author
Bert Carles
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Monitoring on a Budget

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
This is a nice write-up. I know a few folks who could use this. On a related note, how are you moitoring the performance counters outside of SQL Server, such as CPU usage, pages/sec, etc.? Or are you strictly concentrating on SQL Server?

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Bert Carles
Bert Carles
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

To be quite honest, I hadn't thought of monitoring counters outside of SQL Server. You've sparked my interest.

We did add code to track disk space when we were trying to justify additional SAN space. The overall process is the same; simply capture today's disk utilization and subtract yesterday's from it to get a daily increase/decrease.

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

Group: Administrators
That calls for a part 2, Bert!
BigGrin

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Bert Carles
Bert Carles
SSCommitted

You're right. I really need to spend some time converting this over to SQL 2005 and expanding it beyond SQL Server.

Take care,

Bert

giorgio-459258
giorgio-459258
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

That looks very nice BUT where is that Excel spreadsheet then? Wink

It would be really nice if you posted here also so we can have a look at final product... :-)

And to be honest I am not very good and Excel and all that graphs stuff so it would be rather nice to see how you're doing the whole "thing"

Cheers
Bert Carles
Bert Carles
SSCommitted

I debated putting the Excel spreadsheet in the article. Ultimately, I decided not to since, once the raw data is in a table, you can present in pretty much any format you choose. I'm not very good with Excel either, but give me a few days, and after the holiday, I can post a "How I did it with Excel" follow up. I've also been working with a SQL 2005 equivalent. The internals are pretty much the same, but the presentation has much more potential with SSRS and SSAS...Perhaps another followup article?

This was my first stab at technical writing. I've already learned a great deal from your responses, thank you! I'll definitely try to be more detailed in the future.

Take care,

Bert

Garrick-249518
Garrick-249518
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

I thought you can't query temp table as source in Transform Data task as stated here
[url=http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa215269(SQL.80).aspx][/url]

When using temporary tables in the Transform Data task, the Data Driven Query task, or the Execute SQL task in DTS Designer, be aware that you cannot use a Transact-SQL statement or stored procedure that calls a temp table as your source.
Garrick-249518
Garrick-249518
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

I mean at source tab in the Transform Data Task for DB Stats monitoring with the TSQL:

select * from tempdb.dbo.DayDBStat
Bert Carles
Bert Carles
SSCommitted

Perhaps that restriction pertains to a #TEMP table? All I know is the DTS works as coded.

Take care,

Bert

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.