Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A Simple Approach to SQL Server 2005 Encryption

A Simple Approach to SQL Server 2005 Encryption

Author
Mike Good
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/mgood/3058.asp

Yaniv Mor
Yaniv Mor
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)

Excellent article! While I haven't tested any of the scripts mentioned, it does provide a solid background to this subject (one that I didn't get the chance to experience yet...). I learned a lot.

charu-374169
charu-374169
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)

Concept is good, I have tested its working.

Need to explore for implementation

DanKennedy
DanKennedy
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Nice article. Especially like the tip about the cost of opening the symmetric key. Not something I'd thought of before.

Dan
www.firstcs.co.uk
divadrr
divadrr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Execllent article, and I like the mindset of trying to take a simple approach. Too many time complex approaches result in failed implementations or complications. Thanks.

cjeremy74
cjeremy74
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)

Greate article on what I need to know as a DBA without getting bogged down in the details. This is a departure from most things that I have read about encryption! Thanks.
noeld
noeld
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Clear, Simple and to the point.

Good Job!

Thanks,

* Noel
Roger L Reid
Roger L Reid
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)

Mike - great, I did a similar thing a few months back when one of our programmers needed to do an encrypted field for the first time (rot-13 really doesn't cut it) and it was great to see someone with a similar background go through the same exercise.

Off topic:

I notice you were a programmer who ended up doing full time Sybase/SQL Server DBA work.
This is my background as well, for the past 5 years I've been working on moving large Sybase DBs to SQL Server - which is a great deal of programming since there really aren't
commercial products to do this - which has caused me to assume that most Sybase db's are being left in place, even if the shop ends up doing all new work on SQL Server.

Roger L Reid
Mike Good
Mike Good
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)SSC-Addicted (405 reputation)

I'm really glad to see this is being received well. The code snippets got reformatted a little, so I apologize if hard to read; this is my first article & I have lot to learn about publishing in HTML.

We just reviewed this with our development team and they made a great suggestion which we've adopted as our standard approach, and that I wish I'd included in the original article: write custom "encrypt" and "decrpyt" UDFs for each encrypted column. These make subsequent coding much simpler, developers don't have to know names of the symmetric key or the certificate, don't have to worry about casting the datatypes, etc.

create function dbo.fnEncryptAccountNbr(@AccountNbr varchar(16))
returns varbinary(68)
as
begin
return EncryptByKey(Key_GUID('MyKey'), @AccountNbr);
end
go

create function dbo.fnDecryptAccountNbr(@EncryptedAccountNbr varbinary(68))
returns varchar(16)
as
begin
return convert(varchar(16), DecryptByKeyAutoCert(cert_id('MyCert'), null, @EncryptedAccountNbr));
end
go

I have only tested this a little bit, but so far don't see any performance hit caused by these UDFs (I've been badly burned by UDF performance--or lack thereof--in SQL2000, am always on guard for that now).

Mike Good
Mike Good
SSC-Addicted

Forgot to include this: in addition to the UDFs, we've also decided to use a stored proc to wrap/hide the open symmetric key business.

create proc dbo.spOpenSymmKey
as
--open symm key if not already open
set nocount on
if not exists(select 1 from sys.openkeys where key_name = 'MySymmKey' and database_name = db_name())
open symmetric key MySymmKey decryption by certificate MyCert;
go

PS - Would have been cool to embed this functionality in the fnEncryptxxx UDF, but cannot because it causes a "side-effect" and SQL won't let you.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.