SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Question of the Day for 21 Jun 2007

Question of the Day for 21 Jun 2007

Author
Site Owners
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the Question of the Day for 21 Jun 2007 posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/testcenter/qod.asp?QuestionID=1059.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question. I'm not too impressed with the answer though. I got it "right" because I picked the answer closest to correct, but it's not actually correct. There are things I need to do to make replication work with a mirror. First, I need to set up distribution for the mirror, so call sp_adddistpublisher at the publisher (to add the mirror as a publisher) and then call sp_adddistributor at the mirrer (to point at the shared distributor). Then I need to tell all the agents that connect to the publisher about the mirror, by setting the -PublisherFailOverPartner agent parameter for each agent, and restarting them. Assuming this is transactional replication without update this has to be done for the log reader agent and the snapshot agent. If it's some other kind of replication I will also need to do this for one or more of the Queue Reader Agent and various sorts of merge agent (I would have to consult BoL to determine which). That's a far cry from "you don't need to do anything, it's handled automatically"; of course once I've done those things, fail over will be handled automatically for me.

Tom

Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)

I almost picked the "correct" answer but then thought that there are a number of steps and commands that need to be executed on the mirror before replication could work. I would agree with Tom that the "correct" answer was not actually the right answer. Thanks for the question anyway.
GP Van Eron
GP Van Eron
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Good question. Although "not need to do anything" is not totally correct. There is some initial configuration that needs to take place. Once it's up should be pretty transparent. Likewise for AlwaysOn

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151799(v=sql.105).aspx
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.