SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Question of the Day for 05 Jun 2007

Question of the Day for 05 Jun 2007

Author
Yelena Varshal
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

Adam,

What a good question!

I got it right, but I wonder: the message is Level 16. BOL says in "Database Engine Error Severities" that the correct answer happens with severity 19 and higher. Does not mean that it could not happen with 16, but it would be nice if BOL explains possible outcomes of Levels 11 to 16.

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

-=JLK=-
-=JLK=-
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)

While I can not vouch for the complete voracity veracity of the information provided at: http://www.sommarskog.se/error-handling-I.html I found the article very informative and useful. I stumbled accross it while looking for verification for my answer to the question. I had the right answer but it was nice to see "why" my answer was right.

James.

Adam Machanic
Adam Machanic
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Yelena: I think the BOL entry is badly phrased. The implication is that such errors would ALWAYS abort the batch; but there is nothing to say that lower-severity errors wouldn't. Error severities in SQL Server are not actually related to how severe a given condition is, but are rather used more like categories. For example, severity 13 is for deadlocks. I personally think that deadlocks are pretty severe... and, by the way, they're batch-aborting if you happen to be the victim!

JLK: I'm not sure what you mean by "voracity" in this context, but I will say that Erland Sommarskog's article is absolutely the best resource on the topic, and I used it as a reference while writing my own chapter on the same. By the way, the other articles on that site are equally excellent--I highly recommend reading them all.

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com: THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web
-=JLK=-
-=JLK=-
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (549 reputation)

Adam: Guess I should have used the word "accuracy" (either that or learn how to spell! [veracity]). I'm far from and expert in this area and didn't want to steer anyone wrong. I was impressed with the level of detail Erland included and was pretty confident it was accurate, but that was the first time I every looked into what type of error resulted in what type of action. Very good information to know, I think I have made poor assumptions in some of my past projets

James.

kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

alas!
I got it worng ;-)

Iwas Bornready
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I thought it was Statement-Terminating
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.