SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Introduction to Bitmasking in SQL Server 2005

Introduction to Bitmasking in SQL Server 2005

Author
Philip Kelley
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Bitmasking does in many ways break relational integrity, as you end up storing multiple distinct values in one column, as opposed to one value per column. (It's like Joe says: One fact one way one place one time.) However, it is very efficient at storing quantities of binary data, and coding for one binary(9) column is vastly simpler than coding for 500 bit columns, and that makes it very tempting. I implemented such a solution once, and regretted it within the month as it became very awkward to analyze the state/setting of one value in my relatively small set of 10.

I think that it depends upon the data being represented. If you had a very tightly coupled set of binary values, such that together they could reasonably and practically be considered a single data entity, then it might be acceptable and reasonable to use this tactic. Otherwise, beware the long-term maintenance costs and data obfuscation! (It may well be that, as with with star schemas, the value returned by this kind of design outweighs the costs of breaking conventional relational architecture. It's important to understand and appreciate the trade-offs you're making when you design systems.)

Philip

pg53
pg53
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)

I agree - given that bit data types are packed efficiently internally, there would seem to be few instances when this technique would be useful. IMHO the background knowledge for this is more useful for decoding SHIFT + ALT, etc, or color values in application code, rather than in storing data.

Incidentally, there's a subtle potential bug in 'Decoding the mask - Unmask value using integer representation' - the OS's are being decoded against 3,2, and 1. In fact, they should all be decoded against 3. It's only the order in which the CASE statement is evaluated that makes this example work correctly.

K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Joe, you're missing the point of what I said with respect to the IP address. While I agree with you that the four columns made more sense, it's a 3rd party application, not my design. I am guessing the database design (the second time around) was done by folks who were looking to do some obfuscation in order to sell their reporting piece (which wasn't very good). Since we were able to quickly determine it was a bitmask, we were able to quickly rewrite our queries to handle the change. And this isn't the only network-type application I've seen this practice with. So it is important to be able to understand bitmasks and hopefully recognize them when they are used in a database.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Merrill Aldrich
Merrill Aldrich
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)

While academically interesting, using a bitmask in this fashion is TO BE AVOIDED. It's like a deliberate obfuscation of the data, coupled with a deliberate undermining of the relational features the software provides.

And 50 bit columns? - heck, no! Normalize!
Leendert van Staalduinen
Leendert van Staalduinen
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)

For me this seems to be a very useful article, as I have to deal with a plethora of (mainly binary) attributes. Up to now I use my own non-binary techniques. From what I understand now, I can combine with this hexadecimal bitmasking technique binary plus numerical values together, which enhances my flexibility. Apart from this, I feel certainly attracted by possible perfomance benefits.

Instead of having to deal with so many columns with different importance, I have to deal now with one column, some T-SQL code, plus separate VB code for the decomposing part. As the number (and meaning) of attributes depends on external conditions, and as the number of attributes will change in the future (depending on the progress of my customers requests) I prefer to deal with two parts of code, instead of having to add or modify again a column for a single attribute. Less work plus more control.

Aside from this: does anybody have a VB decomposing example ?

I do not understand what pg53 means with "… the OS's are being decoded against 3,2, and 1. In fact, they should all be decoded against 3", as the example works perfectly, and I could not profitably use pg53's erratum.

Many thanks to Lee, Leendert.

Liam Caffrey-139009
Liam Caffrey-139009
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

This article explains the bitmasking approach very clearly and thank you to Lee for this excellent article. Looking forward to seeing your next article on this subject.

ab5sr
ab5sr
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)

"This kind of programming is sending us back to the old days of 1950's mag tape files and bit fiddling with assembly language. "

Hi Joe,
In prefacing the article, I could have included the fact that sometimes I like to just "geek" with things, just for the sake of "geeking". You know - Quality Geek Time? However, as I point out often to my students some of those practices in your web article "Ten things that I hate about you" - you have to realize that not everything will be relational, nor will it be in an acceptable normal form. Nor will it be what Dr Codd envisioned. Did he envision blobs in the database? Hardly. Did he envision (gasp) XML data and XML data types? No, not at all.

A toolkit is used most effectively when the appropriate tool is best fit to the job. I did warn that this is not something that should be used all the time, nor is it an attempt to overpower or overcomplicate a solution. I know that it is probably aggravating to you but we have debated things before, and it's good for a lively debate. Remember when I posed a dozen questions to you about NULLs at SQLPass in Grapevine last year? Good, thought provoking arguments make the developer community richer. Blasting a technique that it sends us back to another day ... not so much. Fact is, things change. Did anyone ever think that we'd be using IDENTITY attribute all over creation? Go look at Microsoft's "Best Practice" material - they have them everywhere and strongly recommend them. Normally, I teach my students that 1) they're not relational, 2) they don't describe attributes, and 3) attributes aren't dependent on them. Wonder why they are, then, used so much?

Most of your pet peeves, I've agreed with you. For this one, I do think that there is a use for it, regardless of whether it's 1950, 1960, or 2006!

Oh, and thanks the copy of your book. It's great!

Lee Everest

ab5sr
ab5sr
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)

You could use a number of different data types for this operation - it's personal preference. Lots of folks might be included to use an integer, it doesn't matter. The varbinary or binary simply allows you to look at the mask and map the representation easier...

Lee Everest

ab5sr
ab5sr
Mr or Mrs. 500

Not only 2000, but what about 7? Or 6.5? Or 4.2! Yes all of them work equally as well. It made more sense to title as I did rather than, for a SQL Site, calll it "Intro to Bitmasking in FirebirdSQL"

Lee Everest

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.