Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Non-Continous Replicaton and The LogReader

Non-Continous Replicaton and The LogReader

Author
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/noncontinousreplicatonandthelogreader.asp>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/noncontinousreplicatonandthelogreader.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
David.Poole
David.Poole
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Years ago I was told that Microsoft set up a Publisher on one side of the Atlantic and the Distributor/Subscriber at the other.

When they got their first phone bill it was rather high because the only communication you could control was between the distributor and the subscriber.

I have found that occassionaly I have to stop replication (back ups, busy periods etc).

sp_replicationdboption '<<dbname>>','sync with backup' true.

stops the publisher sending any transactions to the distributor unless they have been backed up.

For back up purposes I back up the Distributor, then the publishing database.

Then issue the

sp_replicationdboption '<<dbname>>','sync with backup' false.

to let normal service resume.

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Interesting! I will take a look at that, could be useful.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
prn9974
prn9974
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Interesting.. This is more of a question than comment (I am not that good to comment). How about writing my own log reader? That would give me more control. Is there any advice you would be able to provide? Thanks

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable

Pretty tough I think, it contains a fair bit of code. You'd have to be able to read the transaction log, figure out which subscriptions existed and what changes should be captured based on those (plus any filters).

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
asamykin
asamykin
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

thanks for idea, Andy!
I have the almost same task to set Transactional replication non continuous.
It turned out that logread.exe doesn't require Ctrl+C command at least in SQL2008R2.
So, I've just removed "-Countinuous" from "Run agent." job step and changed its schedule.

Regards,
Andrey.
Attachments
logread_manual_run.jpg (2 views, 131.00 KB)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.