SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Question of the Day for 17 Oct 2005

Question of the Day for 17 Oct 2005

Author
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
...and that's just the way it should be .
cliffb
cliffb
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)

Even though I answered correctly, it would have been nice to have had some psuedo code to help out. I had to read through the question a couple of times to understand it, where as psuedo code would have been more direct. It's just the way I learn, I realize everyone is different. Nice Question.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

There's still no other possible somewhat right answer... if the trigger fails, the whole transaction has to fail.
Yelena Varshal
Yelena Varshal
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

I answered correctly but I wonder if the answer with "The process works normally but produces an error message" could be implemented? Something like in the trigger text:

Begin Transaction

<update statements>

RAISEERROR (with severety level 1 - informational)

Commit Transaction

I also wonder if the trigger type is "Instead Of" could we make the trigger insert rows but produce the message?

Yelena

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

cliffb
cliffb
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)SSC Eights! (807 reputation)

I guess it is more a friendly critique of the format of the question. It was a little rough to read through, and having psuedo code would have helped me understand the question more easily. I did not have the answers available at the time as I was reading the question from the email.

Peter Kryszak
Peter Kryszak
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

I think that total failure was the only right answer

If the WHERE clause used IN or EXISTS that two rows returned from the subquery would not cause a failure or any warning, but certainly if it is a boolean operator expecting a singleton, then it would fail.

Adam Machanic
Adam Machanic
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I found the whole setup to be somewhat of a red herring. The point is, if the trigger fails everything is going to fail. Doesn't matter if there are foreign keys or not...

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com: THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web
fga100
fga100
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)

The question didn't state that the statement that caused the trigger to fire was running inside a transaction.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip

Doesn't matter. There's always a transaction to rollback if a major error occurs.
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

SSC ertifiable did you mean that within a single transaction if a major error occurs there is a rollback? I think the original statement may have been a bit too open.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.