SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ISJSON

ISJSON

Author
Igor Micev
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item ISJSON

Igor Micev,
My blog: www.igormicev.com
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks Igor
learned something new today.

Terje Hermanseter
Terje Hermanseter
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Since we don't have a 2016 server that I could test this on, I tried to read the documentation for clues. Found this article, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn246937.aspx, but sadly it didn't say anything about JSON. So I chose the wrong answer :-P
TimCarrett
TimCarrett
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

As I haven't used In Memory tables yet I did a search on this I found the following:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/01/06/json-in-sql-server-2016-part-2-of-4/

Which implies that ISJSON is available in SQL Server 2016 for In Memory tables? Could you confirm if it is or not?
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Terje Hermanseter (6/6/2016)
Since we don't have a 2016 server that I could test this on, I tried to read the documentation for clues. Found this article, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn246937.aspx, but sadly it didn't say anything about JSON. So I chose the wrong answer :-P

Yeah, I couldn't find any documentation for this and don't have a handy 2016 instance, so I also picked the wrong one--I thought the question might be asking about the general inability to alter the table schema of a memory-optimised table, for which constraints are an exception. Learned something, though, which is always good.

I suppose the obvious question is, though: WHY is this limitation there?
david.dilworth
david.dilworth
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)

I also chose the wrong answer after a bit of googling that included finding the exact page referred to in the answer.

So my question is how would you find out about this from the MSDN documentation?
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)

TimCarrett (6/6/2016)
As I haven't used In Memory tables yet I did a search on this I found the following:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/01/06/json-in-sql-server-2016-part-2-of-4/

Which implies that ISJSON is available in SQL Server 2016 for In Memory tables? Could you confirm if it is or not?

I was looking at that article too. The article says that JASON can be stored in In-Memory table that is absolutely true, but the constraint cannot be created when the table is In-Memory enabled.

Igor Micev,
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSC-Dedicated

Terje Hermanseter (6/6/2016)

I too, was looking at that documentation but didn't find about the JASON() function.

Igor Micev,
sestell1
sestell1
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)

Thanks Igor for the interesting question.
This is definitely good to know, since it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. Crazy
Revenant
Revenant
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)

I guess I am just lucky that I work with JSON daily. :-)

Thanks, Igor!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.