Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSIS BIDS Add Database Objects to Project

SSIS BIDS Add Database Objects to Project

Author
AarionSSQL
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

Could you tell me how to add database objects to BIDS Projects.

I am working on SSIS and have seen a project where the database object definitions such as the table names and the stored procedures are all listed in the project.

I have attached a small screen shot of the project explorer to show what I am trying to describe.

Hope you can help.

Thank you
Attachments
BIDS.png (4 views, 11.00 KB)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

AarionSSQL (8/25/2014)
Hi All,

I am working on SSIS and have seen a project where the database object definitions such as the table names and the stored procedures are all listed in the project.

I have attached a small screen shot of the project explorer to show what I am trying to describe.

Hope you can help.

Thank you

I'm pretty sure that you cannot have a single project which is a mix of SSIS packages and database objects.

However, I see no reason why a single solution should not contain an SSIS project and a database project. Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that.

This link shows you how to import the schema from an existing physical database into a VS database project. You may learn some 'bad' things about your database along the way ;-)

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

AarionSSQL (8/25/2014)
Hi All,

Hope you can help.

Thank you

Managing objects is done in SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools). SSIS is done in SSDT-BI. Confusing right?
SSDT is a seperate but free download. Once you have installed this, you can manage your database projects in Visual Studio. However, you cannot add them to the same project - as Phil mentioned - but you can add different projects to the same solution. Doesn't necessarily make it a good idea though.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
aarionsql
aarionsql
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Thank you both very much. I had a look through the link as well.

It's not something I want to do but saw it in a example project so was wondering how they did it especially it being a 2008 project.

Thank you both again for your help!
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

aarionsql (8/26/2014)

It's not something I want to do but saw it in a example project so was wondering how they did it especially it being a 2008 project.

In certain versions of Visual Studio 2008 (the more expensive ones) you had SQL Server 2008 Database projects (I believe it was nicknamed Data Dude). SSDT is the replacement of those kind of projects.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.