SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Automate SQL server restart in a clustered environment

Automate SQL server restart in a clustered environment

Author
SQL!$@w$0ME
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
All,

I need to automate SQL server restart(daily due to performance issue- outside sql) in a clustered environment. What is the best way to accomplish this. If anyone can provide code/commands that would be great!
Environment:

Windows server 2008
Sql 2005 - 2 node (active/passive)

Many thanks in advance!
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

I recommend you investigate the reasons behind your performance issue before implementing this workaround. If you must do it, you can control the cluster from a command line - see this. I'm sure there are equivalent PowerShell commands as well, if you prefer that.

John
SQL!$@w$0ME
SQL!$@w$0ME
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

John: Thanks for your input!
EdVassie
EdVassie
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

If you really need to restart your SQL Server clustered instance, you need to use the cluster commands to put the SQL cluster group offline, then put it back online.

If you just stop SQL Server using a NET STOP command you may cause a failover to happen.

But John has good advice - you should find out why you think you need to restart SQL Server. The problem can almost certainly be solved without the need to restart SQL Server.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 14 Mar 2017: now over 40,000 downloads.Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.Quote: When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist. - Archbishop Hélder Câmara
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)

John Mitchell-245523 (8/18/2014)
I recommend you investigate the reasons behind your performance issue before implementing this workaround. If you must do it, you can control the cluster from a command line - see this. I'm sure there are equivalent PowerShell commands as well, if you prefer that.

John

Since this is Windows 2008, the cluster.exe documentation is useless. The Powershell commands are

To import the Failovercluster Powershell module
import-module failoverclusters

List cluster groups
get-clustergroup

Stop a cluster group
stop-clustergroup "groupname"

Start a cluster group
start-clustergroup "groupname"

Rather than stopping the whole group just stop the SQL Server resource (takes the agent down too)
Get the resources using
get-clusterresource | ?{$_.resourcetype -match "SQL Server"}

Stop the sql server resource using
stop-clusterresource "sql server resource name"

Start SQL server resource by starting the agent first
start-clusterresource "sql agent resource name"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
SQL!$@w$0ME
SQL!$@w$0ME
SSCrazy

Thanks Perry!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.