What you need is a good document managements system plus the internal procedures in place to use it.
Ideally the documents need version control so I would say have an official location on your network for this sort of documentation and check it all into source safe.
There are more elegant and vastly more costly systems for doing this but no-one gets rewarded for implementing more admin!
The idea of the document management system is
LinkedIn ProfileNewbie on www.simple-talk.com
- There is a central repository of documents.
- Access to those documents is controlled i.e. permissions on documents.
- A version history is kept of the documents.
- Ideally new documents can be emphasised i.e. a "Latest Updates" facility
- Your developers can see who has a document checked out and is amending the document.
- Sophisticated search engines can be applied to aid the retrieval of the document.
- Accessible via an intranet.