Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Laptop Dreams

Laptop Dreams

Author
chrisn-585491
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Surface Pros would a nice machine for me if I lived in a strictly Microsoft world. I'm a multi-platform, multi-database developer, so it's easier to find a good laptop that Linux runs on, and relegate Windows to a VM.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

BWFC (5/27/2014)
Robert Sterbal-482516 (5/25/2014)
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?

My wife's the same. I've got a smaller, lighter mid-range compact that I imagine is much easier to take pictures with than a tablet. If you spent less on\didn't buy the tablet and bought a half-decent camera with the savings, I think you'd be happier with the pictures. It's a few minutes' extra effort to upload the pictures to the tablet but in the long run the results are worth it. A camera is also easier to carry about and can probably be brought into use quicker. Of course, there are other arguments for buying the tablet but I don't think its use as a camera should be one of them. It may be a consideration for a phone but for me it would be very low down the list for any kind of tablet.

+1
For pictures we just take the real camera.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Gary Varga (5/27/2014)
People using the tablet as a camera/video recorder reminds me of the comedian Dom Jolly's sketch "I'm on the phone". It can be a variant of wearing a sombrero at the cinema.

hahaha

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane

I just recently played through this exercise. I was at SQL Saturday Atlanta and my laptop decided to start acting finicky. I have fixed that problem on that laptop but it hastened the pace to getting a new laptop.

I settled on the Dell M3800 because it is lightweight. I could put plenty of storage in it and it is configurable up to 16GB memory. So far the responsiveness of the laptop is very satisfying.

I had been thinking I would go with the Surface Pro at 8GB, but it was perpetually out of stock and it cost about the same as the Dell laptop or even the Yogi from Lenovo.

The only reason (at this point) for me to get a Surface is as a lightweight backup presentation device.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Robert Sterbal-482516 (5/25/2014)
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?

Not sure "spoiled" goes with "willing to lug"

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Ken Welsh (5/26/2014)
Steve,

If you got a USB "wireless router on a stick" you should be able to connect the tablet to the BRIX quite easily.

Just a thought...

Been thinking about that

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.