Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server 2014

SQL Server 2014

Author
Admingod
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
What are the issues noticed while upgrading from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2014? What is the configuration recommendation etc. What is the difference between SQL 2008 Vs 2014?
Ashif Shaikh
Ashif Shaikh
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

I have upgraded many SQL instance of 2008 (not R2) and didn't get any issues..

The main difference between 2008 and 2014 would be it's new In OLTP memory engine which increases the performance upto 20x..

There are tons of articles over the internet for this

:-)
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

The core setup for a 2014 server isn't going to be any different than for a 2008 server. After that, it completely depends on if you're using functionality that wasn't present in 2008 such as Availability Groups, Columnstore indexes, In-Memory OLTP, etc.

There is one principal difference that's going to be noticeable to everyone. 2014 introduces a new cardinality estimator within the query optimizer and statistics generator. That's going to possibly result in lots of changes in behavior to lots of queries. You can turn it off by leaving your databases in 2012 or earlier compatibility mode, but then you can' use any of the other 2014 features.

As to what's new, it's in the documentation.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
james.murphy 76104
james.murphy 76104
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

I am planning on upgrading to 2014 from 2008r2. Would I be able to leave my databases at 2008r2 release or will I need to upgrade them as well? I knwo that you mentioned that you could leave them at an earlier release like 2012 but my boss is asking me to make sure.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
You can leave them at SQL 2008 R2. Set the compatibility mode down level (< 120). If you are lower than 120, the cardinality estimator remains the same as previous versions. Same for keywords and functionality.

You can read a bit more about backwards stuff here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143532(v=sql.120).aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
james.murphy 76104
james.murphy 76104
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Thanks for that information. I am new to the DBA arena and did not want to set myself up for failure. Thanks again!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.