SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Mapped Network Share

Mapped Network Share

Author
Keejli69
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello - I am trying to find out what is the best way to have my ssis package export data to flat file on a mapped network share. This will run hourly with a agent job running under the service account. I know im probably going to run into issues with a network share. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !! :-)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)

elee1969 (4/24/2014)
Hello - I am trying to find out what is the best way to have my ssis package export data to flat file on a mapped network share. This will run hourly with a agent job running under the service account. I know im probably going to run into issues with a network share. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My suggestion would be to use a UNC path rather than a mapped drive.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Keejli69
Keejli69
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)

Phil Parkin (4/25/2014)
elee1969 (4/24/2014)

So i would put the UNC path in the connection manager in the File Name section? When the package runs under the service account will it have issues writing to that location?
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)

elee1969 (4/28/2014)
Phil Parkin (4/25/2014)
elee1969 (4/24/2014)

So i would put the UNC path in the connection manager in the File Name section? When the package runs under the service account will it have issues writing to that location?

Yes and maybe. Whether you use a mapped drive or a UNC path does not affect the permissions which the service account needs to modify files there.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Keejli69
Keejli69
SSC Veteran

Can't get this to work. I used UNC path \\Server\E$\filepath

I get error can not find path.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru

If you log in as that service account, are you able to navigate to that path in Windows Explorer? Is that definitely a local drive on the server?

Keejli69
Keejli69
SSC Veteran

its not a local drive.

What i am trying to do is ssis package creates 3 files on Server A. Then have the 3 files places on Server B because server B can get to the outside world to send files to vendor. We thought if we create a mapped network drive that it would work but so far no go.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru

UNC paths need to use local disks, as far as I know. But if you can map a drive to another server, you should also be able to point a UNC path at another server. I don't really understand the problem.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.