Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '099.0' to data type int.

Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '099.0' to data type int.

Author
vsamuel
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for your help peple
BWFC
BWFC
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

vsamuel (2/26/2014)

I have this script below which initially could execute without problems. Now its giving me this error: "Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '099.0' to data type int.
"

I'm not sure but I think, '099.0' won't be recognised as an integer because of either the preceding 0 and\or the following decimal point. Int has to be a whole number.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Perhaps you could declare a variable as DECIMAL(10,2) then set the INT column to the value in the decimal variable... a 2 step conversion.

vsamuel
vsamuel
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Many thanks, I have done that and its working
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

You need to look up sql injection. Your code is pretty much a text book case of vulnerable to sql injection.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

I have a feeling too that you could make this entire thing into a few insert statements with no dynamic sql and no looping. It is so hard to read.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach

I am pretty sure you could get rid of the dynamic sql at the very least. Isn't this this same thing for Check 1?

/* check 1 */
IF @Check1 is null
insert into Discrepancies
(
FormName,
IDNumber,
VisitDate,
ErrorDetail,
ErrVarName1,
Status
)
select @FormName,
@PatientID,
@VisitDate,
'enr_first cannot be null',
'enr_first',
'Open'
where not exists
(
select *
from Discrepancies
where FormName = @FormName
and IDNumber = @PatientID
and VisitDate = @VisitDate
and ErrorDetail = @ErrorDetail
)

It is hard to figure out exactly what your code is doing but I think the loop would be fairly easy to get rid of too.

Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

Sean Lange (2/26/2014)

It is hard to figure out exactly what your code is doing but I think the loop would be fairly easy to get rid of too.

And now it's harder because the code is gone.

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach

Luis Cazares (2/26/2014)
Sean Lange (2/26/2014)

And now it's harder because the code is gone.

Well I guess they "fixed" the issue and don't want to learn that the way they are doing it is far from optimal.

Too bad because this would be a great chance for the OP to learn a LOT about how to handle this type of thing.

I copied the original code before the OP removed it. I generally quote posts to avoid the code being removed. Unless the OP comes back and wants to fix the nightmarish dynamic sql I guess we will have to assume they are satisfied.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.