Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Replication not workiing

Replication not workiing

Author
MarvinTheAndriod
Old Hand
Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. Please note that my knowledge on replication is very limited, the replication was setup by someone other than myself who has now left the company.

We have two servers Server A and Server B

Server A has a number of publications and Server B subscribes.

The publications were reporting errors in Server A, so I reinitialised the subscription in the Replication Monitor.

The Replication Monitor then reported that the subscription was running fine. However the users have reported that they are not receiving new data on the subscriber.

Not sure how I should troubleshoot next.
Ankit Mathur-481681
Ankit Mathur-481681
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

Are you sure the reinitialization is complete? It's not waiting for response from the server? Do we have Undistributed commands ??

You can start by researching for these and getting back with your findings.

If users are still seeing old data I doubt the reinitialization started at all.
Suresh B.
Suresh B.
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Right click on the subscription and select "View synchronization status"

Make sure that Log-Reader and Distribution Agent jobs are running.
Lempster
Lempster
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

MarvinTheAndriod (1/28/2014)

The publications were reporting errors in Server A

What errors were reported?
MarvinTheAndriod
MarvinTheAndriod
Old Hand
Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)

Suresh B. (1/29/2014)
Right click on the subscription and select "View synchronization status"

I clicked on the subscriptions and selected "View synchronization status"

For most of the subscriptions it said:
No replicated transactions are available.
One Said:
3 transaction(s) with 3 command(s) were delivered.
However for one it said:
The initial snapshot for publication is not yet available.

Not sure how to Make sure that Log-Reader and Distribution Agent jobs are running. Are these SQL jobs ? I can't see any by that name.

Also the undritbuted commands tab does not seem to exist in my replication montior GUI
Suresh B.
Suresh B.
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Yes, these are SQL Agent jobs. Job name would be similar to the publication name.

Log-Reader job runs on the Publisher. Distribution Agent jobs run on the Distributor (on Subscriber if pull subscription)

There is one Log-Reader job per database. There would be a Distribution Agent job for each Subscriber.
These jobs should be working fine for the replication to work.
Ankit Mathur-481681
Ankit Mathur-481681
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

Can't you confirm if updated data is flowing by updating a record on Server A and querying for the same record in Server B.

If the value stands updated that clarifies the replication is working fine. If there aren't too many tables you can check 1 by 1 for all.

This will clearly identify if any table was missed.
MarvinTheAndriod
MarvinTheAndriod
Old Hand

Ankit Mathur-481681 (1/29/2014)
Can't you confirm if updated data is flowing by updating a record on Server A and querying for the same record in Server B.

If the value stands updated that clarifies the replication is working fine. If there aren't too many tables you can check 1 by 1 for all.

This will clearly identify if any table was missed.

Not is not hence the problem.
MarvinTheAndriod
MarvinTheAndriod
Old Hand

The Publication that say "The initial snapshot for publication is not yet available." is the one that isn't working.

Should I reintialise again. Is it worth starting the snapshot agent ?
Lempster
Lempster
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

MarvinTheAndriod (1/30/2014)
The Publication that say "The initial snapshot for publication is not yet available." is the one that isn't working.

Should I reintialise again. Is it worth starting the snapshot agent ?

Yes! If the snapshot agent is not running then the snapshot will not be created. The subscription may be marked for reinitialisation, but nothing will happen until the snapshot agent runs. Do you have the snapshot agent set to run on a schedule - once per day for example?

Regards
Lempster
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.