Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DETECT ROWS CHANGED IN A TABLE to transfer in a datawarehouse

DETECT ROWS CHANGED IN A TABLE to transfer in a datawarehouse

Author
registrazioni 75612
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all.
Every day, I need to transfer data from SQLServer in csv format.
I need to identify wich are the rows changed since 'last time'.

Can you suggest me the best way?
trigger?
timestamp compare ?

Thank you
max
MysteryJimbo
MysteryJimbo
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I've used a few in the past. CHECKSUM when I only had to monitor modifications to a few columns. Timestamp is another method.

A trigger could work but I'm not a fan of adding additional code to monitor data in this way.

What are you trying to achieve?
registrazioni 75612
registrazioni 75612
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

(Thank you for your reply)
I've order/details table, with milions rows and thousand of new records every day.
I need to transfer every time orders/details changed to another database for analisys.
They ask me a csv format.
My problem is not create csv file, my problem is how to quicly identify changes.

thank you.
Max
MysteryJimbo
MysteryJimbo
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Is the tables primary key an identity?
Do you have an inserted date column with associated index?
Can the table be partitioned on a daily basis?

Both having/adding an identity column and an inserted date column would be quite quick at identifying the inserted columns.
registrazioni 75612
registrazioni 75612
Forum Newbie

Thank you so much.
I've identity columns but,
I've have to intercept updated datas.

ty
max
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
There's no good way to detect changes in a CSV. They're not built for this, which is why they don't make good databases.

What I'd suggest is that you import the CSV into a staging table, index it, and then look for changes. There are ways to do this, perhaps with data in the table, using checksums as noted, or perhaps joining to your imported data.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Change Tracking should handle your situation easily and completely. IIRC, CT requires that the table have a PRIMARY KEY defined.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

Prosecutor James Blackburn, in closing argument in the "Fatal Vision" murders trial: "If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them."
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

registrazioni 75612 (11/21/2013)
Thank you so much.
I've identity columns but,
I've have to intercept updated datas.

ty
max

CDC (change data capture) is aimed for that. I think it's the best option for you.

Regards,
IgorMi

Igor Micev,
‌SQL Server developer at Seavus
www.seavus.com
ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

CDC could do it too, of course, but it has more overhead and is available only in Enterprise Edition; it's overkill for what you've described you need.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

Prosecutor James Blackburn, in closing argument in the "Fatal Vision" murders trial: "If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them."
registrazioni 75612
registrazioni 75612
Forum Newbie

Ty.
Please, what is IIRC please?
just a link to a doc site.

Ty
Max
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.