SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Maximum size of SQL variable in SSIS ?

Maximum size of SQL variable in SSIS ?

Author
blasto_max
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a string variable which stores a big set of sql statements, ie insert statements. The insert statement intends to inserts about 200K rows with 10 columns (Lots !)

I think that my package always fails when the SQL string is this big. So, I was wondering if there is any limit on the size of the sql string ? It shows no errors or warnings.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

I have a string variable which stores a big set of sql statements, ie insert statements. The insert statement intends to inserts about 200K rows with 10 columns (Lots !)

I think that my package always fails when the SQL string is this big. So, I was wondering if there is any limit on the size of the sql string ? It shows no errors or warnings.

Yes there's a limit. I searched Google and found it in two minutes. Have you even tried?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

blasto_max (11/17/2013)

How does your package fail? How do you know it fails if there are no errors or warnings.
Regarding the limit: try using a stored procedure instead.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
blasto_max
blasto_max
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Phil Parkin (11/17/2013)

Yes there's a limit. I searched Google and found it in two minutes. Have you even tried?

Yes, but may be my words were not correct. What words did you use ?
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

Have a look at this page. All sorts of useful info on limits there, including max. batch size.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
blasto_max
blasto_max
Ten Centuries

Phil Parkin (11/17/2013)
Have a look at this page. All sorts of useful info on limits there, including max. batch size.

Maximum Capacity Specifications for SQL Server....I'll keep that in mind and bookmarks. Thanks.
Which part of the link tells me how to find the max size of SQL string ?
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru

Batch size.

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Phil Parkin (11/18/2013)
Batch size.

I think the limit in SSIS is smaller.
I've had issues with very large SQL statements in Execute SQL Tasks, but they were less than 64K characters if I remember correctly.

If the string is stored in an SSIS variable configured with an expression, prior to SQL Server 2012 the limit was 4000 characters.

My blog at SQLKover.

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru

Koen Verbeeck (11/18/2013)
Phil Parkin (11/18/2013)
Batch size.

I've had issues with very large SQL statements in Execute SQL Tasks, but they were less than 64K characters if I remember correctly.

If the string is stored in an SSIS variable configured with an expression, prior to SQL Server 2012 the limit was 4000 characters.

Interesting. My ExecuteSQL statements are usually very short, so I have not come up against any limit.

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru

Phil Parkin (11/18/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (11/18/2013)
Phil Parkin (11/18/2013)
Batch size.

Interesting. My ExecuteSQL statements are usually very short, so I have not come up against any limit.

I have. :-D
A lot of views with a lot of columns strung together with UNION ALL.
When using expressions to create dynamic SQL, you can hit the limit of 4k characters pretty fast.

My blog at SQLKover.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.