SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Analytical functions available in SQL 2005

Author
Amit Raut
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Analytical functions available in SQL 2005
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Bah!

I run on tuttopodismo
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Nice Question, but I dont understand this:

Before answering the question:
By Rob Stebbens, 2013/11/08

And after answering the question:
By Amit Raut, 2013/11/11

Hehe

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Interesting question.

sqlnaive
sqlnaive
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Question from SQL 2005... :-)
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Simple straightforward question. Useful (while SQL 2005 is still in widespread use) because MS documentation on this is unsatisfactory.

I though the question would be difficult at first, because I skipped from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 with only a glance at SQL 2005 to determine that it didn't have enough in it to justify the cost of migrating ourselves and all out customers, because I needed developers to sort out the appaling C++ and T-SQL application code, terrifyingly unnormalised schemata, and totally misguided system architecture that I had inherited rather than upgrade to a new MS version, so I didn't remember which of these functions was new in 2008 and which was already in 2005. But then I realised I could approach it the other way - look for the three that were not there, and three of these seven functions weren't in 2008 R2 let alone in 2005, so that gave me the answer. I expected the explanation to provide a nice straightforward reference to something about new features in 2005, but no - it seemed to follow the approach I had used and referenced a list of functions new in SQL 2012; I'm not sure that's a good way to explain this sort of thing, since without the "(Select 4)" in the question that doesn't provide an answer - it doesn't demonstrate that the other 4 functions were actually there - but i gues I shouldn't complain as that's the route I took to the answer; it made me go and check though, and as far as I can tell it is nowhere documented that these 4 functions are additions to T-SQL in 2005; of course each has its own page in Transact-SQL Reference for 2005, but it seems odd that the BOL list of new features makes no mention of them.

Tom

free_mascot
free_mascot
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Nice one... good to recall old days SQL 2005 Smile

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Hany Helmy
Hany Helmy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Christian Buettner-167247 (11/11/2013)
Nice Question, but I dont understand this:

Before answering the question:
By Rob Stebbens, 2013/11/08

And after answering the question:
By Amit Raut, 2013/11/11

Hehe

Yep; I noticed this also not only for this question, it happened for other questions as well! weird hah. ;-)
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Some of us are still there. Hehe

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/11/2013)
... as far as I can tell it is nowhere documented that these 4 functions are additions to T-SQL in 2005; of course each has its own page in Transact-SQL Reference for 2005, but it seems odd that the BOL list of new features makes no mention of them.

Agree with Tom on backward reference. This was the best reference I could find that listed all four together: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fooe7f917ba-bf4a-4fe0-b342-a91bcf88a71b.aspx

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.