SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Concatenate Fields, But Evenly Space

Concatenate Fields, But Evenly Space

Author
DarthBurrito
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I know how to concatenate two fields, but having issues spacing the two fields evening.

If you look at the attachment, you see that Current Results are displaying the year all jagged. I've been playing around with SPACE, but not getting it right.

Below the current results, you'll see what I'm trying to achieve. For the sake of trying to explain what I'm looking for, I just inputted the months and years manually in excel. But the point is, trying to get both fields into one, but lined up evenly like in the attachment.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Capture02.JPG (18 views, 32.00 KB)
Bill Talada
Bill Talada
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

declare @s varchar(20);
set @s = 'October 2013';
select REPLACE(@s,' ', SPACE(20 - LEN(@s)))

returns:
October 2013

Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Where are you trying to see the names aligned? Remember that it will depend on your font type.
A similar approach to Bill's, would be:

SELECT LEFT( MonthName + SPACE(20), 20) + CAST( year AS CHAR(4))
FROM DWESTRELLAS..dimperiodos

As I have MS Sans Serif for grid results, it doesn't show aligned, but if I copy and paste on the text editor which has Courier New it shows aligned.

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
DarthBurrito
DarthBurrito
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)

I'm using this for a parameter drop down list for a report I'm creating. Instead of having the user select a Month and then a Year in two parameters, I wanted to have the month and year in one field, but in a neat list, not all jagged like I have it now.
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

The query Luis or Bill posted will work, but as Luis also pointed out, it will depends on the font face. If you're putting this into a standard dropdown, you're going to need to select a fixed-width font if you want them to line up neatly. If you select a true type font, you're not going to get them to line up consistently. Each character needs to occupy the same horizontal space.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.