Yay! I got it to work. Here is my journal of how I did it:
• Installed developer install of SQL SERVER for reporting services.
• Got an error that says: The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version.
• I modified the config. Nothing.
• I modified the config files. Nothing.
• I ran repair. Nothing. Same problem.
• I then renamed the config files with bak. I created an archive folder. I then copied all the config files into that folder.
• I then ran a repair. Nothing. Now I was getting a 503 error saying something about the service being unavailable.
• I then uninstalled Reporting services.
• I tried to reinstall again.
• I then got a setup error. It was a redundancy error.
• I then cleaned rebooted the server. I ran the install again and this time used a domain service account. I was able to get a successful install.
• As I was configuring configuration manager, I got the virtual directories created. However, I got error messages saying the URL was already reserved.
• I then open up an administrator run command window.
• I then keyed in netsh and then http show urlacl to see the available URLs.
• I then keyed in http delete urlacl url=http://+:80/reportserver
• I went back to configuration manager and hit apply. Yeah!! Now I was able to properly configure the webservice URL.
• I recreated the databases.
• I then tried to configure the reporting url and got the message the URL already reserved.
• I then keyed in http delete urlacl url=http://+:80/reports. Yeah, now I was able to properly configure the reporting URL.
• Now the site came up on the server, but failed on the other pcs.
• At that point, I just had to create the appropriate new role, add my groups domain and…I am up and running.
It took forever, but I won the war. While I was doing all that, I got word that some users are experiencing bad performance on another server. Off to the next battle.
Things will work out. Get back up, change some parameters and recode.