SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Best practice to setup a test server to restore backups from production automatically?

Best practice to setup a test server to restore backups from production automatically?

Author
RTaylor2208
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)SSC Eights! (982 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I suspect the problems trying to use the dir comman on a unc path. I can't test this as I'm not on a computer but I am sure that doesn't work with a unc path as its invalid at the command line.

Try running the command from a prompt to the unc path and see if it returns a list of files.

If it doesn't, you will need to create a temporary mapped drive using the NET USE command as part of your command shell command.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)

joshd 1807 (10/23/2013)
100% full access. I can access it from the server with the Windows Authentication account I am using

I didn't ask about the account you're using. I asked if the SQL Server service account (the account that SQL Server is running under) has access. The account you're using is mostly irrelevant.

It's perfectly possible to restore from a UNC path, SQL just has to have permissions to access that path.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)

joshd 1807 (10/23/2013)
The databases are fully functional and aren't restoring any logs, so the error message is confusing.

That message is from the RESTORE DATABASE ... WITH RECOVERY line. Since the restore that would have left the DB RESTORING failed, the attempt to bring it online would fail because the DB's in the wrong state.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.