SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Linked Server Distributed transaction Error

Linked Server Distributed transaction Error

Author
Sushant Yadav
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I am trying to execute procedure through linked server ,
but after executing the same it is giving me following error.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "XYZ"
returned message "No transaction is active.".
Msg 7391, Level 16, State 2, Line 18
The operation could not be performed because OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "XYZ" was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

I have already enabled remote inbound and remote outbound from MS DTC settings in component service.

For Info. I am using SQL Server 2005 enterprise edition and Windows 2003 enterprise on both the machines.
RatanDeep Saha
RatanDeep Saha
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)

Does your other transaction or SP working fine with same linked server .
Sushant Yadav
Sushant Yadav
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)SSC Eights! (843 reputation)

No it is not.
I have also tried to execute other sp using same linked server but it is giving me same error.
Sushant Yadav
Sushant Yadav
SSC Eights!

I tried it like

Inser into #tmp
Exec linkedserver.db.dbo.mysp

Then it is giving me error but when I directly run following statement then it gives me output

linkedserver.db.dbo.mysp
Erland Sommarskog
Erland Sommarskog
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

What sort of environment is this? Are both computers in the same domain? Do you only have a workgroup?

Getting MSDTC to work when you don't have the trust from a domain can be very difficult. I have been successful in my workgroup at home, by have the same name for the service accounts for the DTC service with the same password.

On SQL 2008 there is a server option to turn off promotion to disitributed transaction, but alas it is not available in SQL 2005.

By the way, this forum is intended for the most recent release of SQL Server, SQL 2014, currently in beta.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Sushant Yadav
Sushant Yadav
SSC Eights!

I have one server in domain and another is in workgroup.

The one which is in Domain on that server i am executing the query and the procedure is on server which is in work group environment.
Erland Sommarskog
Erland Sommarskog
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

That sounds indeed like a difficult case. I don't know enough about Windows to say whether this can be solved and how. And MSDTC is a Windows component.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
iaminyourhead
iaminyourhead
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Do you have RPC enabled for that linked server, server options?
Sushant Yadav
Sushant Yadav
SSC Eights!

Thanks for your reply,
My issue got solved ,I just updated my host file from drives\etc folder,
I added IP address and host name into the file in both server. :-):-):-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.