SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Refresh test reporting server with production reports server backup

Refresh test reporting server with production reports server backup

Author
SqlServerLover
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I need to clone ssrs test and development from production reporting environment.
I am planning to backup reportserver, reportservertempdb, encryption key in production and restore on both test and dev server.
Is this going to work? Thanks for your suggestions.
I also wanted to download all rdl files at once to put on source control but i guess that is a seperate questions.
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Both possible.

for downloading rdl files use rsscripter(free).

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
SqlServerLover
SqlServerLover
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)

Thanks.
There are so many things to consider like service account, encryption key, subscriptions etc when i refresh test enviromnet with production.
Can anyone tell me what are the steps i need to do after i restore the production database in test environment?
Can i override test encryption key with production encryption key?
Is there any case where i need test encryption key?
Is deploying reports through a project solution at once is better than restoring database and doing several step?
(considering that there will be more than 10 project files which goes to 10 different folders)
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

[b]Can anyone tell me what are the steps i need to do after i restore the production database in test environment?

restore the excryption key and check the reports.

you can restore encryption key

yes , backup before you go for resore it with production keys, sometimes SSRS will stop functioning.

Is deploying reports through a project solution at once is better than restoring database and doing several step?
(considering that there will be more than 10 project files which goes to 10 different folders)

It is up to you , remember existing reports in test server will vanish along wiht your DB, so if you want then you can use RSScripter to download and upload in the same folder structure.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Hall of Fame

[b]Can anyone tell me what are the steps i need to do after i restore the production database in test environment?

restore the excryption key and check the reports.

you can restore encryption key

yes , backup before you go for resore it with production keys, sometimes SSRS will stop functioning.

It is up to you , remember existing reports in test server will vanish along wiht your DB, so if you want then you can use RSScripter to download and upload in the same folder structure. you have to configure datasource and permissions manually.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.