We have an ancient cluster in which, at one time in the past, two clustered SQL 2000 instances were running. A few years ago the SQL database servers were migrated to a new cluster, using the old SQL cluster name, but the software was kept on the server. For some reason the entry for SQL server in Add/remove programs was removed however. After a recent audit, Microsoft wants us to remove the SQL software entirely.
So I have a server that:
- Has no cluster information about the SQL server
- Has no entry in add/remove programs for this SQL server
- Has an SQL name which is used elsewhere
- Has no databases/logs/etc anymore since the cluster disk was unattached
- How do I find out which edition was installed (enterprise/standard)? All methods I found either require a running SQL server or access to the logs.
- How do I do a proper deinstall?
- Will I run into problems with the duplicate name? The new server with that name is running a production database, and I don't want to run into any problems.