SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A New Look

A New Look

Author
Jon Lacey
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Absolutely hate having the editorial first.
Why so much space around everything.
-10 from me.
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

To be direct, I can't stand the new format!! Way too much wasted space. If this was done for "mobile-friendly" formatting, give users the ability to specify what format they wish to receive. If it was done for any other reason - well, it was a dumb reason. :-D

There are lots of other good suggestions here too, but the narrow format feedback seems to be overwhelmingly negative. Please avail yourself of them and get things fixed up pronto!!

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
b3yond
b3yond
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)

I agree with many other posters, it's too narrow and I have to scroll too much.

I would also recommend not following design guidelines laid out by Microsoft, there's not been much love for the Windows 8 tile effect or the Visual Studio colour scheme revamp. Clicking into the link you provided to the MS website adds further weight to that. Who would want to work in an environment where everyone is put into their respective shoebox, kept away from anyone else? To me, working there would be awful as you might as well be working from home.
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

TheSQLGuru (7/3/2013)
To be direct, I can't stand the new format!! Way too much wasted space. If this was done for "mobile-friendly" formatting, give users the ability to specify what format they wish to receive. If it was done for any other reason - well, it was a dumb reason. :-D

I won't go so far as to say I can't stand it, but I do feel the new format is greatly inferior to the old format.

There are lots of other good suggestions here too, but the narrow format feedback seems to be overwhelmingly negative. Please avail yourself of them and get things fixed up pronto!!

The narrow format is very annoying. Variable width is surely the way to go.

Tom

Marcia J
Marcia J
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

florian.bartl (7/2/2013)
New design looks good.
However when it comes to modernizing it, I would remove the "Question of the Day". I see no gain in it.

I love the question of the day. Good chance to test knowledge and possibly learn something. Please don't remove it.
aochss
aochss
Old Hand
Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)

The new format is not a step in the right direction. Too much scrolling...Hopefully we don't have to wait 8 months for the dot one release of the fixes.

Otherwise the rest of the site remains one of the best programming resources anywhere. I learn a ton from the QotD and the follow up discussions.

Anton

donne.medley
donne.medley
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Hi, the narrow format just doesn't work for me. It feels squashed with too much empty space on either side of the page. I far prefer the previous look.
David Adams-459372
David Adams-459372
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

I agree. I do like the "look", but would rather have the summaries back at the top.
Daniel Hallam
Daniel Hallam
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

Nice look and feel. Definitely will be reading from the mobile now.

Like others, fix the white space and put the summaries first.
Mike McIver
Mike McIver
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

I see no improvement for the readers ... looks like it was done to improve ad placement, i.e. the narrow width and, hence, longer page length to accommodate ads.

Mike
MacroTrenz.Com
LinkedIn
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.