SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A New Look

A New Look

Author
HanShi
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Toreador (7/2/2013)
On my screen, approximately 2/3 of the width is white. Why all the wasted space? I don't do my development on a mobile device, and don't read this website on one either. What's wrong with letting the content size according to the space available?

+1

Adjust the width to the available screensize. With a fixed size you will never please everybody.
An automatic sized width can easily be read on computer screen (independent of mail readview pane), laptop, readers and mobile phones.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
b.engstroem
b.engstroem
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

+1
Lots of white space and scrolling.

Toreador (7/2/2013)
On my screen, approximately 2/3 of the width is white. Why all the wasted space? I don't do my development on a mobile device, and don't read this website on one either. What's wrong with letting the content size according to the space available?

PhilipC
PhilipC
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)

My suggestion, with the forum threads, have SQL 2008 above SQL 2005.
Dan Messenger
Dan Messenger
Valued Member
Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)

Toreador (7/2/2013)

+1

I have a widscreen (1440x900), and the content is just a thin column in the middle.
Lots of scrolling, not a nice experience.
ConnieOI
ConnieOI
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)SSC Journeyman (80 reputation)

I do like having the editorial at the top, since I read that before following any of the article links. However, I agree with lots of other commenters about the fixed width. It feels like we've gone back in that respect, not forward.

Regards,
Connie
Joel Ewald
Joel Ewald
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I like the overall design and the editorial at the top.
However, the content is sailing down the middle of a sea of white space.

The ratio of 1/3 content to 2/3 white space makes it so you have to continually scroll.
hillsl
hillsl
Old Hand
Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)

It looks to be formatted to be read on a mobile phone. Like many above this post, I read this on a wide monitor and most of the space is blank. I think I also prefer the featured contents above the editorial, although the width change is more important to me.
Bangla
Bangla
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

The new look is great with only problem is width in bigger monitor. But the design was good.
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Nice one. But please increase the width.

Steph Locke
Steph Locke
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)

david.wright-948385 (7/2/2013)
gary.morgan 31549 (7/2/2013)
The featured contents should be put back at the top of the letter so that a summary is immediately viewable.

+1

Also, the width of the original would scale to the available display width, where the new one doesn't.

Much better if these two issues are fixed.

+1
But very nice generally!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.