SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database Diagrams Help

Database Diagrams Help

Author
stfan933
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Had a question about database diagrams.

We want to set up a diagram to mainly get the benefit of visualizing our data, and establishing the relationships. The tables we have are old and do not always have a simple key.

The diagram seems like a good fit, but does anyone know if we can set it up so that the relationships set up in the diagram do not enforce any rules or effect the tables the reference in any way? We don't want to effect the tables, only get a layout of the data we have.

Is there a better tool to use outside of Management Studio 2008 R2 to set up these relationships for visualization only?

Any help would be appreciated!
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

I personally prefer Visio because I can get as detailed or as generic as I like. Also it's what I'm the most comfortable with.

ERWin is another heavily used application for things like this, and gives you the layer of disconnect where you can either model existing or model there and then enforce it on existing. It's a pretty neat tool once you get used to it.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
stfan933
stfan933
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Ok I really appreciate the suggestions. Do you know if by using the database diagram you can set it up so that you can make sure you don't change any actual data or enforce rules onto those tables you diagram?
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

I believe you can (as of '05 you could). You have to do it manually though. It can only auto-generate from existing Relational Integrity rules. It's been a while since I fought with it though, mostly because printing the thing is such a pain in the arse.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
stfan933
stfan933
Forum Newbie

Yea our tables don't have any relational information set up, they are coming from and AS400 into SQL server and no one really knows how they tie so we are trying to setup a road map per say. If you have any ideas or suggestions on where to look to see how to set up the diagrams without effecting the actual data or tables I would sincerely appreciate it. Otherwise I may look at the ERwin to see what it can do and cost etc...
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)

The database diagram tool in SQL Server can create relationships, which does modify the tables. If you want to create the diagrams for visualization only, I'd also suggest using something else like Visio suggested above.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Sean Pearce
Sean Pearce
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

I also use Visio for reverse engineering database models. The Database Diagram will change your objects, however if you need to use it then you can restore your database onto a dev server purely for your diagram.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.