SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Corruption and PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM

Corruption and PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM

Author
DCF
Valued Member
Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

We've been having sporadic cases of corruption. The tables vary but the message is consistent:

Msg 605, Level 21, State 3, Line 1
Attempt to fetch logical page (5:537) in database 47 failed. It belongs to allocation unit 72057602025521152 not to 72057602063532032.

When I inspect the tables using DBCC IND and DBCC PAGE I can see that, for example, page 5:537 does have an incorrect allocation unit in it's header (as compared to the IAM page).

Yes, most sources state that most corruption is caused by I/O sub-system, but in our situation we need to prove this.

On this ms page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2015739 it reads:

Ensure you have the PAGE_VERIFY=CHECKSUM database option turned on. While it is possible to still encounter a Msg 605 error with checksum enabled (Ex. "scribbler" problem or incorrect page provided from I/O system), enabling checksum can provide definitive proof that the page was modified incorrectly within the I/O system.

Could anyone explain to me how this provides definitive proof? Definitive proof would be very helpful in our case!

Thanks
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)

Do you have page verify set to CheckSum?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

DCF
DCF
Valued Member
Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)

Yes I've verified that is the case.

I can't find any 824 errors in the logs though. Ermm
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)SSC Guru (225K reputation)

Was the database created in SQL 2005/2008?
If you check the page (via DBCC Page), what's the value for the m_flagBits setting?

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

DCF
DCF
Valued Member

m_flagBits = 0x220
DCF
DCF
Valued Member

Sorry, created in SQL 2008 R2...
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

Apparently there are some known bugs that cause this (error 605 with no 824). I was told to search google.

Gail Shaw

DCF
DCF
Valued Member

Interesting, thanks.

I have seen the bug about inserting in to a Temp table but pretty much ruled that out.

I'll see what I can find.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.