Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Provisioning

Provisioning

Author
EdVassie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Using the Cloud can significantly speed up the server provisioning cycle.

It used to take about 3 months for us to move from proposal to in-use server, but after out move to AWS last year this is now about 2 - 3 days. The technical bits of this typically take under 1 day, but there are those pesky approvals to get done.

This change in speed has forced a change of thinking on us. Cost management of server spend used to get buried in the Capex process for getting new servers. Removing the Capex process initially resulted in cost management becoming an orphan that no-one properly looked after.

We have now moved to making the Operations Team responsible for budget management for server costs, resulting in KPIs around this for the Windows System people. Moving to the Cloud gives some interesting new opportunities, but also some new challenges to overcome.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 1 Dec 2016: now over 39,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Quote: "When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist." - Archbishop Hélder Câmara
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Revenant (5/24/2013)
GBimberg (5/24/2013)
My current upgrade project will have been running about a year when it’s complete. Unsure Of course, I am assuming that there are no new surprises.

This is the last hardware upgrade, that I can ask for, for the next 5 years.Whistling

My deepest sympathy. I think in this situation I would be looking for a new job.

Why? I'd hope many servers can last 5 years at this point. If there's a need to upgrade, fine, but being on a 2-3 year cycle these days seems silly with the power of the hardware.

I would hope that if something grows fast and you need an upgrade, you get it, but having a standard in place like 5 years makes sense to me.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
david.morton
david.morton
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)

Companies that have set hardware upgrade cycles do so to keep their maintenance agreements with their hardware vendors up to date.

Like Steve said, it makes perfect sense to be on a 5 year hardware cycle barring any failures (which should be covered under a maintenance agreement).
Sean Redmond
Sean Redmond
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

At its fastest, that is, when the will from upper management is there, our sysadmins can have a server environment ready for us within a few hours.
Normally it takes a project application process that takes many weeks - application, approval for study, study, cost-appraisal and so on.
At the other end of the scale where funding from external sources is involved, the process can run between 6 months and a year.

What takes time is the bureaucratic process. For small projects it seems senseless, for large projects a necessity to prevent failure. Department heads meet once a week. The projects approval group meets once a month and each meeting determines whether the project application will go on further to the next stage.

Our sysadmins have their licensing, system-images, hardware and software in order. Once the approval goes through, it is only a matter of hours before I can start installing SQL Server onto a fresh new server.
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)

Days
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Years later and we would all like to think that peoples' situations have improved.

It has at one of my clients: it has gone from months (circa 6) to anywhere from a couple of weeks to months (circa 6).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.