SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Implicit Update in TRY..CATCH can it become uncommitable

Implicit Update in TRY..CATCH can it become uncommitable

Author
reachshaft
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

My question is could this statement cause an uncommitable transaction and subsequent leave transaction in an open state where the locks it had acquired would persist. I ask the question because I've taken over administration responsibility for a database and a stored procedure that calls this statement is occasionally causing blocking on the database but in activity monitor the state is blank and it sits there inactive until killed. My first instinct from looking at the statement is that the update has failed and the transaction has entered an uncommitable state but what I don't understand is why wouldn't the implicit transaction be rolled back on hitting the catch unless for some reason the catch has been bypassed.

BEGIN Try

UPDATE Table1
SET
Col1 = @State,
Col2 = Getdate(),
Col3 = @Error
WHERE Col4 = @MessageID

SELECT 'SUCCESS' as Response

END TRY
BEGIN CATCH

SELECT ERROR_MESSAGE() as Response

END CATCH

I have now set XACT_ABORT on and wrapped the update in a transaction and check the XACT_STATE in the catch and rollback if appropriate.

I hope this makes sense, any help would be much appreciated so I can better understand what is going on.

Thanks
sturner
sturner
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

There should be no need to do all that. More than likely the process is being blocked by some other process, have you checked for blocking? (sp_who2)

Having said that though, I would get rid of your explicit transactions and rollback stuff code it this way:

declare @resultMessage
BEGIN Try

UPDATE Table1
SET
Col1 = @State,
Col2 = Getdate(),
Col3 = @Error
WHERE Col4 = @MessageID

set @resultMessage = 'SUCCESS'

END TRY
BEGIN CATCH

set @resultMessage = ERROR_MESSAGE()

END CATCH

select @resultMessage as Result

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.
reachshaft
reachshaft
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

When it is causing the blocking it is the head block I've also tried running the profiler while it's acting as the head block and its not doing anything. I realise that the majority of the time the catch should cause an implicit statement to rollback. When this happens the system is very busy so I'm thinking it may be caused by an application side timeout from what I've read this might cause it. Am I correct in thinking this?
sturner
sturner
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

It would only rollback if there was an error in the SQL statement or the update process was terminated.

Doesn't appear to be the case here.

reachshaft
reachshaft
SSC Rookie

What my theory is there is something going wrong in the try block that is causing a bypass of the catch which was my reason for adding the xact_abort on. Do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree?
sturner
sturner
SSCertifiable

Yes.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.