SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Triggers 2

Triggers 2

Author
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I was surprised this was your question Hugo. I didn't think it was yours when I saw the Count(*) in the trigger! ;-)
Lon-860191
Lon-860191
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Great question, another correction to allow it to work is changing "= 1" to "> 0", obviously without the quotes included.
Thanks,
Lon
DBA by default
DBA by default
Old Hand
Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)Old Hand (338 reputation)

Good question. The code was easier to follow than most lately. Thanks.
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Nice +1.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

Thanks Hugo.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Revenant
Revenant
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)

Very, very nice. Thank you, Hugo!
Rob Schripsema
Rob Schripsema
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Great question, Hugo. Thanks.

Rob Schripsema
Propack, Inc.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (4/25/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (4/25/2013)
But I have a minor quibble: if this is a business rule, it should be enforced by the schema if possible, not by code; and this is a classic example of a rule that can be enforced by a check constraint.

For a production implementation, I fully agree that a trigger, even a well-coded one, would be a terrible way to implement this rule.
I was pretty sure you would:-P

But for a QotD about triggers, using a CHECK constraint would not have been a very smart choice! ;-)

And there's the challenge to ingenuity: devise a rule which can't be implemented as a check constraint (or any other sort of constraint) and therefor has to be implemented as a trigger (because ad hoc updates and inserts and deletes are allowed, so a trigger is the only way you can be sure of executing the code when needed) while at the same time the rule and the trigger are sufficiently non-complex to make a good QotD. I think that might be very difficult, depending on where the commplexity limit is.

Tom

pchirags
pchirags
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Awesome question..
Thanks..
Bangla
Bangla
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Nice question Hugo...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.