SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Triggers 2

Triggers 2

Author
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Triggers 2

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Good question Hugo :-)
This time I am able to grab the points :-P....
Last time I forgot to see the Go batch separator and comments and clicked on wrong one!!!
Thanks!!

Danny Ocean
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Great question hugo. Last week i asked a question related to this kind of scenario. :-)

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Awesome, thank you for posting.

(first thing I noticed this time was the missing of "EXISTS" in trigger and then "= 1" condition, that made it easy to mark the correct choice after running the code couple of time in the head)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Nice QotD!

Thanks
IgorMi

Igor Micev,
My blog: www.igormicev.com
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Nice question, thanks Hugo

Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Good question and explanation.

Triggers that work only on single rows are a common problem, so anything that points out the pitfalls and warns people not to write them is a good thing.

But I have a minor quibble: if this is a business rule, it should be enforced by the schema if possible, not by code; and this is a classic example of a rule that can be enforced by a check constraint.

Tom

kapil_kk
kapil_kk
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (4/25/2013)
Good question and explanation.

Triggers that work only on single rows are a common problem, so anything that points out the pitfalls and warns people not to write them is a good thing.

But I have a minor quibble: if this is a business rule, it should be enforced by the schema if possible, not by code; and this is a classic example of a rule that can be enforced by a check constraint.

+1 :-)

Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (4/25/2013)

For a production implementation, I fully agree that a trigger, even a well-coded one, would be a terrible way to implement this rule.

But for a QotD about triggers, using a CHECK constraint would not have been a very smart choice! ;-)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

I needs my coffee... for some reason I was reading the question as... how many rows will be returned... and I saw the count(*) and went... 1 duh.... there's no group by...

apparently reading is something I completely forgot... *sigh* *watches pot brewing*

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.