SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Accelerating Your Career

Accelerating Your Career

Author
John Hanrahan
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I would say it is critical to doing a great job. I don't really understand how it can't be. The more you know about how your company works, lives, breathes etc. the better able you are to do your job. I'm sure it's possible to do a great job with out that but it's way easier if you do IMHO.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)

Besides knowing about how your company works and needs to work in order to survive, I think an important note about this editorial is in regards to the side project.

Taking on a side project to further improve your skills outside of what you would use everyday in your work is essential. It can bring a different perspective to help improve how things are done in your workplace. Think about it as a means of improving your skill set and a means to become a better data professional.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
Learn Extended Events

Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)

SQLRNNR (4/23/2013)
Besides knowing about how your company works and needs to work in order to survive, I think an important note about this editorial is in regards to the side project.

Taking on a side project to further improve your skills outside of what you would use everyday in your work is essential. It can bring a different perspective to help improve how things are done in your workplace. Think about it as a means of improving your skill set and a means to become a better data professional.

Might I also add that taking on a side project can be great because it may expand your experience and skill outside your role as a data professional. We find this in non-IT staff today where business professionals take on more and more of the knowledge and understanding of IT, data, and programming. Often we see those people transition from their field of training into the now field of choice IT. Likewise we should and do see data professionals moving into development, project management etc. As well as developers moving into other areas as well. HOw better to show your worth and possibilities then by taking on a project that illustrates those skills.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
call.copse
call.copse
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

I found this old thread quite interesting.

I'm of the mind that you will never fully hone your skills on any platform or activity and you need to knuckle down on many different activities to truly be a valuable employee. The cross application is what truly enables you to grow, I'd include lots of non-technical stuff too, from philosophy to physical skills. I'm nominally a developer but turn my hand to anything and everything - I'm actually almost scared to go back to proper dev as I need to right now but I know it will fall over me like an old warm blanket once I do.
jay-h
jay-h
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

jay-h - Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:54 AM
Miles Neale (4/23/2013)
...he felt that if he spent more than 2 years in one place that he was a loser and was going no where.
There are pros and cons to the short and long term views, sometimes stability is a criteria.Interestingly I was having a discussion with a co-worker just a few minutes ago, and she dug out an old photo of her here back in 1977, also in that same photo is another worker who is still in this department. And they're not the only ones.

I work in a place that has a tradition of long term employment. I've been here 28 years, but I'm far from being one of the 'old timers'. And I now get a gazillion vacation days...

One department co-worker approaching retirement came here as her first job out of school, there are a number of others here (or now retired) with a similar history.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
jay-h
jay-h
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

call.copse - Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:37 AM
I found this old thread quite interesting.

I'm of the mind that you will never fully hone your skills on any platform or activity and you need to knuckle down on many different activities to truly be a valuable employee. The cross application is what truly enables you to grow, I'd include lots of non-technical stuff too, from philosophy to physical skills. I'm nominally a developer but turn my hand to anything and everything - I'm actually almost scared to go back to proper dev as I need to right now but I know it will fall over me like an old warm blanket once I do.

Lot of truth there. I wind up doing some development, learning VM and Cisco Voip, and whatever else needs to be done around here.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
TheFault
TheFault
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (532 reputation)

jay-h - Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:32 AM
jay-h - Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:54 AM
Miles Neale (4/23/2013)
...he felt that if he spent more than 2 years in one place that he was a loser and was going no where.
There are pros and cons to the short and long term views, sometimes stability is a criteria.Interestingly I was having a discussion with a co-worker just a few minutes ago, and she dug out an old photo of her here back in 1977, also in that same photo is another worker who is still in this department. And they're not the only ones.

I work in a place that has a tradition of long term employment. I've been here 28 years, but I'm far from being one of the 'old timers'. And I now get a gazillion vacation days...

One department co-worker approaching retirement came here as her first job out of school, there are a number of others here (or now retired) with a similar history.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.