SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Moving the SQL Server error logs, SQL Agent logs, and Full-Text logs

Moving the SQL Server error logs, SQL Agent logs, and Full-Text logs

Author
tafountain
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ok, during the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 (Enterprise x64) I changed the "Data root directory" thinking it would only affect the system databases (as I wanted them on our NAS). Evidently this also installed the following folders on the NAS:

• FTData (full-text language files)

• Data (system databases)

• Jobs (sql agent job logs)

• Log (sql server logs, sql agent logs, full-text logs)

• I need to move FTData, Jobs, and Log back to where they would have been originally installed. Actually, FTData is moved since it was just a registry key that had to be changed and copy the folder over. But when attempting to move Jobs and Log, when I restart SQL Server I get "access denied" messages on the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.<myinstance>\MSSQL\Log\.

I know how to change the configurations to tell SQL Server where these files should be, but is there an easy way (other that uninstall/reinstall) to identify/grant the permissions needed for SQL Server to access these locations?

To give a little background on the accounts being used. Each service (sql server, sql agent, full-text) run under different accounts. SQL Server and SQL Agent are both domain accounts, while full-text runs under LOCALSERVICE.
    Steve Jones
    Steve Jones
    SSC Guru
    SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Group: Administrators
    here are permissions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx#Reviewing_ACLs

I think you need full control most places.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
    tafountain
    tafountain
    SSC-Enthusiastic
    SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)

Steve, thanks for the link. I'll see if this provides the information on what I need to move these manually.
    tafountain
    tafountain
    SSC-Enthusiastic

Hey Steve, I think I found something a tad easier - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323007. Now if anyone is as clumsy as I am they have a way to copy the folder structure and files back to where they want them.
    Steve Jones
    Steve Jones
    SSC Guru
    SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Group: Administrators
    Interesting. Are you Win2K? Or does the article apply to other versions for you?

I need to save that bookmark. It's a handy article.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
    Steve JP
    Steve JP
    SSC-Enthusiastic
    SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)

XCopy still exists on Win2008, thankfully although slated to be deprecated. Still need to check on 2012 but my feeling is that it is still there

An alternative is Robocopy.
    Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
    You can't post topic replies.
    You can't post new polls.
    You can't post replies to polls.
    You can't edit your own topics.
    You can't delete your own topics.
    You can't edit other topics.
    You can't delete other topics.
    You can't edit your own posts.