SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Is AutoShrink Logged ?

Is AutoShrink Logged ?

Author
homebrew01
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a database that suddenly had a huge transaction log , too big for the free space on disk drive. I know there was a good amount of free space in the database itself. I found that AutoShrink is set to "true" for some reason, and I suspect it ran and created the huge t-log ?

I can see that the last t-log backup ran yesterday at 4:00 pm, then it failed every 15 minutes afterwards due to low disk space until I made room for it , when it created a 7 Gig backup file.

I have the default trace, and my own server side trace, but don't see what caused such a big transaction log backup file shortly after 4:00 pm.

I don't know why autoshrink is on .... I am pretty new at this particular position.

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

All operations that change the database in any way are logged, no exceptions.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

all shrink events appear in the default trace and you can see them listed under database - right click - reports - standard reports - disk usage.

Reindex jobs are the most frequent causes of large tran log usage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

and if this is production I would turn autoshrink off. when you look at the report it will be obvious why from the constant shrinks and re-growths I expect you will find listed there.

EDIT - and i think i just totally misinterpreted your question! but anyway if the shrink happened around that time, the event will have been recorded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.