Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

CASCADE - 2

CASCADE - 2

Author
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
EZ PZ today.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Good one Ron :-)

I think you have posted two questions on this topic earlier. If it is possible, then please post more questions on this topics with different kind of scenario. This will give us very good information. It will help us to get some more interesting scenario.

:-)

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com
David Conn
David Conn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Thanks for the Easy Points
marlon.seton
marlon.seton
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)SSC Eights! (845 reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (3/26/2013)
Hugo Kornelis (3/26/2013)
I think you're reading a bit too much into the code used to create some sample data, Tom. I suspect ROn used this method to eaily visualize which rows belong together, but not with any other intention.

Oh, I don't for a moment imagine that Ron was intentionally breaking 1NF, or that he even noticed he was doing. And of course it's completely irrelevant to the question - any old table will do as long as it has a foreign key. That's why I said it was a good question apart from the strange wording of the answer options.

But I've often been hit by junionr developers seeing something and thinking "Oh, that's neat, perhaps I can use that" when the something they saw was absolutely terrible practice but acceptable in a particular context because it wasn't relevant there. So I try to avoid doing such things even when they are not relevant to thetask at hand, and believe that everyone should do so. Especially in contexts where they are likely to be seen by a lot of not particularly experienced people.

I agree in principle but can we expect everyone who writes a QotD to check their question for best practice in the coding? Might people be deterred from posing a QotD if they're worried about getting the coding practice picked to pieces? Having said that, was there any need for a mixture of @val1 and @val2 to be used in the setting of the first column. Would the question have achieved the same result if some arithmetic on just @val2 was used?
Dineshbabu
Dineshbabu
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

paul.knibbs (3/26/2013)
This seemed so simple I went and ran the code, sure there must be a catch of some kind--turns out there wasn't, it was as simple as is seemed at first viewing. :-)

+1

--
Dineshbabu
Desire to learn new things..
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Nice question. I do not care about the wording, it worked for me.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
sqlnaive
sqlnaive
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Another good question on cascade after the one on delete. :-)
Arno Kwetters
Arno Kwetters
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

Great ! That cascading
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.