Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

help with Store procedure

help with Store procedure

Author
aslamshaik6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
hi guys,

can anyone help me

1.i need to Write a SP to accept comma separated values and return as list of string values
2. i need to Write a SP to find occurences of a character in a string
3. i need to Write a SP to find number of words in a sentence
jerry-621596
jerry-621596
Old Hand
Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)Old Hand (373 reputation)

Sounds like homework to me.
aslamshaik6
aslamshaik6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Am trying to practice but I didn't can you help me
David Webb-CDS
David Webb-CDS
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)SSC Eights! (922 reputation)

There are some excellent string splitter functions you can search for on this site (Jeff Moden's is the one most recommended for speed and flexibility). Any of these would be good illustrations of the concepts you need to solve your exercises. Posting what you have tried so far will allow the folks here to steer you in the right direction without doing the work for you. Most folks here balk at providing the complete answer for these types of exercises because it tends to minimize the actual amount of knowledge gained by the requestor.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
David Webb
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

For #1 and #3, try Jeff Moden's string splitter. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/

For #2, Sean Lange posted this great approach earlier today for a similar request:

with EconSearch(SomeValue) as
(
select 'D.01.01.01' union all
select 'D.01.01.02' union all
select 'D.01.01.03' union all
select 'D.01.01.03.00'
)

select len(SomeValue) - len(Replace(SomeValue, '.', '')) as NumberOfPeriods
from EconSearch

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Yes splitting your parameter is the way to go here. All of these can easily be done using Jeff's splitter. You can find it by following the link in my signature for splitting strings.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Ed Wagner (3/22/2013)
For #1 and #3, try Jeff Moden's string splitter. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/

For #2, Sean Lange posted this great approach earlier today for a similar request:

with EconSearch(SomeValue) as
(
select 'D.01.01.01' union all
select 'D.01.01.02' union all
select 'D.01.01.03' union all
select 'D.01.01.03.00'
)

select len(SomeValue) - len(Replace(SomeValue, '.', '')) as NumberOfPeriods
from EconSearch

Thanks Ed. As soon as I posted I suddenly had that feeling that I just posted to the wrong thread having seen code that looked eerily familiar. :-P

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

1.i need to Write a SP to accept comma separated values and return as list of string values

If you're on SQL 2008 or above then why would you ever want to do that when you can use a Table-Valued Parameter?

Table-Valued Parameters (Database Engine) - SQL Server 2008

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.