Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

OUTPUT - 1

OUTPUT - 1

Author
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good question, Ron, thanks

Richard Warr
Richard Warr
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

handkot (2/26/2013)
the answer is ambiguous and depends from collations
get my point back :-)

Does that mean you assumed the collation was Case Sensitive? Normally, when no specific information is given, it's safe to assume the default, especially considering the context of the question.

SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

I honestly had not used the OUTPUT clause before, I can see how it would be helpful, so for me it's a good question, regardless of the case sensitivity blip.
ldorian81
ldorian81
Old Hand
Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)

took a stab in the dark... missed totally

good question, look forward to playing with it when i finally get 2012 :-P;-)

Regards
ld

Stoke-on-Trent
United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.
Lokesh Vij
Lokesh Vij
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

ldorian81 (2/27/2013)
took a stab in the dark... missed totally

good question, look forward to playing with it when i finally get 2012 :-P;-)

Why would you require 2012 to play with OUTPUT clause? This got introduced in 2005 :-)

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question
Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com

Follow me @Twitter

ldorian81
ldorian81
Old Hand
Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)Old Hand (352 reputation)

--Using SQL Server 2008R2 or 2012

#Sarcasm :-P

Regards
ld

Stoke-on-Trent
United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thanks for the question Ron. Clever of you to have used the lower case 'w' to make the conspiracy minded believe this was yet another question on collation.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

very nice question as doesn't know much about OUTPUT clause :-)

TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Raghavendra Mudugal (2/27/2013)
(note : I know (and most of all know) collation is very important and each server/database/table or any object which is qualified for using collation has one by default whether or not we set it explicitly and result of the underlying task depends on it... I am not arguing that it must not be used or mentioned... but when the collation is not mentioned by the author in any qtod lets take it as the default say "Latin1_General_CI_AI"; mentioning the collation and its varied results in every qtod's reply is really... (dont know why it is bothering me...)... and i know now you all have a lot to say on this and like i said "i am not arguing here" its just the same replies to qtod.. kind of old gig now.. and I apologize if I offended anyone with this comment, it is not intentional; it is in general)

I agree, no need to mention the collation when it's the default collation (although some will always complain).
However, the default isn't Latin1_General_CI_AI, it's case insensitive. But it's accent sensitive - CI_AS

edit: add missing bit, so it makes sense

Tom

TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Nice question, but two (very minor) niggles: (i) what was the last statement for? and (ii) why refer in the explanation to the output clause returning rows to the client when the question is actually about the output clause inserting rows into a table?

Tom

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.