SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL server media not supported on a X86 system error soon as setup is launch

SQL server media not supported on a X86 system error soon as setup is launch

Author
RGT
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi! I am new in this forum and so excited to meet people who live and breath SQL!

Besides being new in this forum, I am new to SQL as well so forgive me if I will ask newbie and "stupid" questions :-)

Now on to my problem.

I am trying to install an SQL server 2012 developer edition with SP1 X64 to my local machine and received this error

"SQL server media not supported on a X86 system. To continue, run the SQL server setup media that matches your system"

What have I done wrong?

A few more information prior to the installation :
- Operating System is Windows 8 on a dual boot MacBook pro
- I allocated 81GB space for Windows system. No application installed yet. SQL would be the first
- I uncompressed the .iso file to a USB drive and to my hard drive then run setup.exe from both but still had the same problem

I suspect that it is because I am trying to install through a different media other than a DVD disc but I do not have available disc right now so I took my chance. I wasn't successful. What is the work around with this problem?

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I need all the help please because I am aiming to take certification exams and this is my initial step so I can practice and review on my spare time.

All help will be appreciated.

thanks!
RGT
RGT
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Well....it was a silly mistake!

I got it working now.
Shaosil
Shaosil
Valued Member
Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)

Ok... so what was the problem? You're the only person I can find after hours of searching on google that has the exact same issue as me, and I have no idea how you made it work. Do I need to put it on an actual DVD? The weird thing is, it installed fine on my work computer, but my home computer (also Windows 7 but Ultimate Edition) will not start any setup of any SQL Server 2012...
Shaosil
Shaosil
Valued Member
Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)

Ok I finally got it working. My problem was the following:

My home computer has Windows 7 Ultimate, x86. I downloaded and attempted to start every version of SQL Server 2012 for x86 OS, but they all gave the "SQL server media not supported on a X86 system. To continue, run the SQL server setup media that matches your system" error when I attempted to run the setup file.

I fixed it by doing this:

In Add/Remove Programs, click "Microsoft SQL Server XXXX (Latest version you can find I guess, mine was 2012) Setup" and click Repair. It should config something for a few seconds and then nothing... after that, I was magically able to start the 2012 installation, no problem. Must have been some weird files hanging around or something.

Hope this helps someone!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.