SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What is the best way to access a sql server in another country using the public ip address?

What is the best way to access a sql server in another country using the public ip address?

Author
cjoyirving
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I can access my sql server when both of my computers are connected to a same router. However, when one is connected in another router, it does not connect anymore. What should I do? Please help!
Vikrant S Patil
Vikrant S Patil
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)

I think the primary thing that you can or should check is whether the server itself is reachable by a ping.

if you can ping the server successfully, the next step then would be to use telnet to connect to the port on the destination server that the sql server is listening on.

cjoyirving
cjoyirving
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

can you teach me how to ping?
cjoyirving
cjoyirving
Forum Newbie

i have pinged it. what's the next step?
Vikrant S Patil
Vikrant S Patil
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (560 reputation)

Telnet "servername" "portname"

where portname is the TCP port on which sql server is listening on ( you can get this information from the error log)

if Telnet does not work you will get an error, if it works you will get a blank screen.

Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Check if your MAC address is allowed. Check the firewall and remote settings.

Igor Micev,
My blog: www.igormicev.com
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Were you able to resolve your issue?

I find that using PortQryV2 is a bit better than telnet to diagnose issues with SQL Server. See if you can query the necessary ports on your SQL Server instance when connected to the other router

TCP 1433 is the default TCP port for a default instance. if it's a named instance you'll have to look up what it's using.
UDP 1434 is what the SQL Browser uses

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.