SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

sp_server_diagnostics process running all the time

sp_server_diagnostics process running all the time

Author
sql-lover
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Got sp_server_diagnostics process constantly running on my SQL2012 Cluster. I do believe it's for self health tuning or data collection? But can someone please explain in more detail why is there, hugging resources and running forever?

Can I safely disable sp_server_diagnostics? And why it's or was absent on SQL2008 or previous implementation.

I Google this finding little or no explanations. Or maybe I need to improve my Google search skills. ;-)

Thanks in advance
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)

It's used for the cluster's IsAlive check. It takes minimal resources. It wasn't there on SQL 2008 or below because it was only introduced in SQL 2012.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

sql-lover
sql-lover
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

GilaMonster (2/15/2013)
It's used for the cluster's IsAlive check. It takes minimal resources. It wasn't there on SQL 2008 or below because it was only introduced in SQL 2012.

Thanks for reply!

Well, that explains why I do not recall such thing on the Cluster I managed before.

Do you know any useful link I can use for further reading?

Also, my RedGate Monitor tool (and Management Studio) have a different opinion, lol ... they keep flagging it as intensive query ... I wonder if I can filter it on SQL Monitor and exclude. But I was afraid of flagging an important stuff ..
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)SSC Guru (228K reputation)

sql-lover (2/15/2013)
GilaMonster (2/15/2013)

Thanks for reply!

Well, that explains why I do not recall such thing on the Cluster I managed before.

Do you know any useful link I can use for further reading?

A quick search turned up these

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff878233.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2012/03/08/sql-server-2012-true-black-box-recorder.aspx

Also, my RedGate Monitor tool (and Management Studio) have a different opinion, lol ... they keep flagging it as intensive query ...

Possibly because it's running often.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

saravanan.thamidurai
saravanan.thamidurai
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

Will "sp_server_diagnostics" help not to fail-over to passive node if I am patching(SP) the passive node and assuming there is an issue with the Active node for Active\Passive cluster?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.