SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot perform a differential backup for database "ReportServer"

Cannot perform a differential backup for database "ReportServer"

Author
thamilanga
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good day,

Please assist Im getting the error below:

"Cannot perform a differential backup for database "ReportServer"
because a current database backup does not exist.
Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally."

I have created a package for diff and full backups. My full runs once a week and diff runs daily as SQL Server Agent jobs. When I run the diff job manually it runs successfully and in the PoC it also runs successfully. I do have a full ReportServer backup. The log suggests that the full database backup does not exist but it does. I have created backup folders for diff and full but in the save drive.

I'm not sure as to what else to check. Please assist.

Thanks.
thamilanga
thamilanga
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)SSC Veteran (295 reputation)

I'm using SQL Server 2008.
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

The error clearly says full backup is not availale.

check any log truncation or shrink happened before the backup starts.

try doing the fullbackup and then differenctial in sequence again.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
thamilanga
thamilanga
SSC Veteran

yesterday I changed the schedule so they can run sequentially full first then diff and it executed successfully using sql server agent. I then changed the times back to original ones and the diff failed. I do have a full backup.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)

durai nagarajan (2/14/2013)

Neither of those will affect a differential backup base.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)SSC Guru (227K reputation)

You have some third party tool backing up the databases as well as the native backups. My guess would be backupexec. The native and the 3rd part backups are interfering with each other causing this error.

Ensure that you have native backups or 3rd party database backups, not a mix of both. Either will work fine, a mix won't.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

thamilanga
thamilanga
SSC Veteran

Im not using any 3rd party. I created packages using SSIS 2008 tested successfully in dev, deployed to file system, this was running for 2 weeks every day without any issues, no changes have been made on the SQL box. All other jobs are running without any errors

I have ran out of ideas, therefore, I have redeployed to SQL Server and modified my job steps to point to SQL Server instead of File System am now waiting for the job to execute.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

Check the error log, check the backup history tables, you have some 3rd party tool backing up your databases. Probably something one of your server admins put in place thinking it's a great idea.

Gail Shaw

durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

GilaMonster (2/14/2013)
durai nagarajan (2/14/2013)

Neither of those will affect a differential backup base.

thanks that a good catch

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

GilaMonster (2/14/2013)
You have some third party tool backing up the databases as well as the native backups. My guess would be backupexec. The native and the 3rd part backups are interfering with each other causing this error.

Ensure that you have native backups or 3rd party database backups, not a mix of both. Either will work fine, a mix won't.

I'm pretty sure that at a previous place we had a huge database FULL backup directly to tape with BackupExec, and on occasion a native DIFF backup to disk without problems. Why would 2 different methods of full backup cause a problem ?

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.