SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

job token

job token

Author
zi
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Dear Experts

How to use token in sql agent job or alert to send data to operator about alert like database name for example.

Thanks lot
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Without more detailed information about what you are trying to do and what you have tried so far all I can do is refer you to Books Online:

Using Tokens in Job Steps

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
zi
zi
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)

Thanks for replying

I have read these info, but I need to know where should I write the token
should I write it inside the job after the t-sql code step or in a seperate step or where.

Thanks lot
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Tokens are to be embedded within the job step command text. They are replaced at runtime with the value pointed to by the token.

From Example A in the article I linked to:

PRINT N'Current database name is $(A-DBN)' ;

Put the above text into a T-SQL Job Step and run the job. Look at the job history. Then open the job and change text to:

USE msdb;
PRINT N'Current database name is $(A-DBN)' ;

Now run the job again and check the job history.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
zi
zi
SSC-Addicted

Thanks for replying

I wrote PRINT N'Current database name is $(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(A-DBN))' ;
inside step, and the job is succeded, and the mail alert has sent by the operator to the target email
but nothing is changed, I mean the token should send in the mail the database name but it doesnt

what do you suggest

Thanks
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever

I think you are misunderstanding. The token in the print statement will not affect the Alert email, only the output of the job step itself. If you want to send a custom email alert then call msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail from the job step directly. The Alert emails from Agent Jobs are not customizable.

zi
zi
SSC-Addicted

Thanks

I made an output file to the step, but what is writen is

Job 'testbackup' : Step 1, 'token1' : Began Executing 2013-02-05 16:12:34

Current database name is [SQLSTATE 01000]

any suggestion
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever

Yes. Keep experimenting until you learn them. Tokens do work, I use them all the time.

zi
zi
SSC-Addicted

but the out file doesnt show the database name , which is used in token
zi
zi
SSC-Addicted

Thanks

is job token must be runned by alert or it can be runned as normal job

Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.