SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Encryption Not Restriction

Encryption Not Restriction

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Encryption Not Restriction

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Sarus1984
Sarus1984
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Steve,

thanks for your thoughts on encryption, like you I think it is to much ignored in our business.

I would like to ask a further question about encryption. Perhaps you can help, because I have resigned :-(

Do you know where I can get information about the EKM api? I would like to integrate our pki-smartcards in the database security/encryption.
And the only way, as I see it, is to write an own EMK Server DLL to connect to the client where the smartcard is.

Help would be greatly appreciated
Sarus
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

No idea, but I'll ask around.

anelson 66875
anelson 66875
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)

Encryption is a key requirement to make cloud computing viable for serious business use at all.

The comment about control of encryption keys is spot on.
Control of the keys is the difference between a guest and a hostage.
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

I am not sure that I would entrust the safekeeping and storage of the only thing that can decrypt my production databases in case of emergency, to my end-user community. I am not saying that I am against the idea altogether, but knowing most of my users the way I do, I would be definitely a little nervous about it. That's just me though I guess. :-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Sarus1984 (1/22/2013)
Hi Steve,

thanks for your thoughts on encryption, like you I think it is to much ignored in our business.

I would like to ask a further question about encryption. Perhaps you can help, because I have resigned :-(

Do you know where I can get information about the EKM api? I would like to integrate our pki-smartcards in the database security/encryption.
And the only way, as I see it, is to write an own EMK Server DLL to connect to the client where the smartcard is.

Help would be greatly appreciated
Sarus

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsecurity/thread/f36ba8b7-ceec-4bdd-8c84-8878e11194e3/#0f2c9a16-6d62-445a-931e-ffe0b0081dfc

John Hanrahan
John Hanrahan
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Wow read the article and it seems MASSIVELY naive. I find it absolutely understandable that the gov't wouldn't want it's data stored in an unfriendly country. I would think it is many times easier to break encryption when your data is sitting on a server that's been incorporated into the state security system. While storing the data in country is no sure thing it sure seems it is a sure thing that the data will be cracked stored somewhere else. Better to be paranoid than burned (or better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best).
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

John Hanrahan (1/22/2013)
Wow read the article and it seems MASSIVELY naive. I find it absolutely understandable that the gov't wouldn't want it's data stored in an unfriendly country. I would think it is many times easier to break encryption when your data is sitting on a server that's been incorporated into the state security system. While storing the data in country is no sure thing it sure seems it is a sure thing that the data will be cracked stored somewhere else. Better to be paranoid than burned (or better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best).

Not all data is a candidate for the cloud! That which is should go, should go there. That which should not, should stay home. All should be encrypted.

:-)

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Sarus1984
Sarus1984
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Hi Steve,

I know this post and I never got an response to my mail at this address - as I said, I'm totally stuck

But thanks for your try!

Sarus
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Sarus1984 (1/23/2013)
Hi Steve,

I know this post and I never got an response to my mail at this address - as I said, I'm totally stuck

But thanks for your try!

Sarus

Sorry, I have a couple other things I'll PM you.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.