SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

create a policy in policy management

create a policy in policy management

Author
sqlfriends
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
How to create a policy that prevents users to create user objects in master database?

Thanks
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)

Not so much as a policy, but that could be handled with a DDL trigger.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Jayanth_Kurup
Jayanth_Kurup
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

If you follow the principal of least privileges the user shouldnt be able to create objects under the master database anyway.

Jayanth Kurup
sqlfriends
sqlfriends
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

The thing I found on a dev server, the database developer has all the rights on the box
and when he runs the build script sometimes, it accidently goes to the master database.

One way is in the build script to add : Use userdatabase statement, then run the script, but I want also to avoid the accidental creation to master db.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)SSC Guru (98K reputation)

sqlfriends (1/20/2013)
The thing I found on a dev server, the database developer has all the rights on the box
and when he runs the build script sometimes, it accidently goes to the master database.

One way is in the build script to add : Use userdatabase statement, then run the script, but I want also to avoid the accidental creation to master db.

The other is to create a DDL trigger that will prevent it as well. I think this is more viable than a policy.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Jayanth_Kurup
Jayanth_Kurup
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

sqlfriends (1/20/2013)

Set default database for that login to a the user database instead of master.

Jayanth Kurup
sqlfriends
sqlfriends
SSChampion

Thanks all, those are good ideas
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.