Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

tempdb files on SSD

tempdb files on SSD

Author
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Tara-1044200 (1/22/2013)
I see 40 CPU's (2 nodes) when i check properties of sql server under "Processors". I think creating 40 tempdbdata files may be too much.

I do have 5 TB of SSD, i was told by our network admin and may they are combination of multiple drives in a LUN i assume.

Check the links I recommended. BP currently is to start at 8 files (with more than 8 procs) and then grow from there if there is tempdb contention.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Tara-1044200
Tara-1044200
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

but i am planning to put them on a single SSD drive which i asusme would be 8 files each of 100gb. so i think any file would be used out of 8 during a transaction untill it reaches 800gb right?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
MyDoggieJessie (1/17/2013)
I don't think you can even buy 1TB SSD???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227724

A 2TB SSD was announced last week as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Tara-1044200 (1/22/2013)
but i am planning to put them on a single SSD drive which i asusme would be 8 files each of 100gb. so i think any file would be used out of 8 during a transaction untill it reaches 800gb right?

A single drive is a bad idea just in case of failure. At the very least, spread out across 2.

The way files are filled is that they are used in a proportional manner, based on free space. So a query could potentially put objects in multiple tempdb files. That's why recommendations are that you size all the files the same, to get even spreading.

Tara-1044200
Tara-1044200
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

when you say proportional manner do i have to restrict each file to certain size and then when total size uses more than max of all files then the query would fail, correct.

also if 1 drive fails which has 4 tempdb files out of 8 does the sql server continue to run with the rest of the 4 files located on the second drive?
MyDoggieJessie
MyDoggieJessie
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

It's a good rule of thumb to place it on multiple drives (especially in RAID configuration). Have you taken steps to monitor your tempdb usage and do you have an idea of how large it needs to be (will be?) 1TB seems very large...

@Steve - 2TB? What's that like a $3,000 harddrive??? Hehe

SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Tara-1044200 (1/22/2013)
when you say proportional manner do i have to restrict each file to certain size and then when total size uses more than max of all files then the query would fail, correct.

You don't need to restrict each file on max size to get the proportional fill. But the restriction is a recommendation in many cases.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

MyDoggieJessie (1/22/2013)
It's a good rule of thumb to place it on multiple drives (especially in RAID configuration). Have you taken steps to monitor your tempdb usage and do you have an idea of how large it needs to be (will be?) 1TB seems very large...

@Steve - 2TB? What's that like a $3,000 harddrive??? Hehe

No pricing yet: http://thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/solidata-to-unveil-2tb-lsi-sandforce-driven-2-5-sata-2-ssd-first-pictures/

The 1.2TB one I linked is around $3200.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

If you run out of space, then yes, the query fails. You don't have to restrict sizes, though as Jason mentioned, this is recommended in some cases. Not sure how many. Ultimately, there is a restriction: the size of the drive.

I would size these high, make them the same size, and make sure all autogrow settings are the same.

If you grow them manually (monitor to see your % of use over time), grow all files by the same amount at the same time.

Tara-1044200
Tara-1044200
Ten Centuries

I just confirmed that its a RAMSAN drives and though the 5TB i have is memory not disk.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.