SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error, not sure where to start: Attept to fetch logical page... failed. incorrect checkum

Error, not sure where to start: Attept to fetch logical page... failed. incorrect checkum

Author
davidandrews13
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
i hope this is the right forum BigGrin

i've been going through my sql logs and have noticed that every 10 seconds, a line is being written to a logfile, along the lines of:

2012-11-23 07:50:32.34 spid79 Attempt to fetch logical page (1:30555) in database 24 failed. It belongs to allocation unit 72057594063618048 not to 72057594056540160.

2012-11-23 07:50:34.30 spid66 Error: 824, Severity: 24, State: 2.

2012-11-23 07:50:34.30 spid66 SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect checksum (expected: 0xf651d46b; actual: 0x6290fff5). It occurred during a read of page (1:30196) in database ID 24 at offset 0x0000000ebe8000 in file 'F:\myFolderStructure\RedGateMonitor.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

2012-11-23 07:50:46.82 spid87 Error: 605, Severity: 21, State: 3.

i have spotted this great article
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Corruption/65804/

and feel that running an integrity check is the best course of action. this seems to involve running CheckDB.

the article states this can take a long time, so out of hours would be best. i'm wondering whether it will make any changes, or if it is just an 'evidence gathering' tool?

if it is just gathering evidence, i would be quite happy to run it and see what it flags. if not, i would be abit more hesitant to run it as i'm not quite sure what it would be doing and what sorts of things i should be aware of first.

The reason i ask is because this link seems to be suggesting that it is/can do more than just checking.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1232926-2893-1.aspx#bm1233046
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

CheckDB when run with the options specified in the first portion of that article just lists the errors.

Other important things to know, when did the errors start, do you have a clean backup from before then and an unbroken chain of log backups up to current time?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

davidandrews13
davidandrews13
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

hi.
the errors started in mid october of this year. I only noticed a problem now due to a lack of free disk space on the server that this database (redgatemonitor) sits on.

I'm using Redgate SQL backup, and it doesn't seem to be backing up the redgatemonitor db.

currently, the redgatemonitor db is 30.4 gigs in size. i'm not sure whether that is standard or not.Crazy
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

If the DB with the errors is just your monitoring DB then that's not so bad.

Still need the checkDB output to say anything helpful.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.