SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Best laptop to buy for sql server environments

Best laptop to buy for sql server environments

Author
Chris-475469
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop that I'll be able to use to build virtual SQL environments so I can study for the 2012 exams.

Originally I was going to buy the new MacBook Pro but they're extremely pricey.

Just wondered what other people use?

Chris
dan-572483
dan-572483
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

I would say anthing with at least 12GB of RAM. That way you can run VMs for a domain controller and two cluster nodes without having to wait an hour between clicks.
Chris-475469
Chris-475469
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)Say Hey Kid (667 reputation)

Yeah I've been looking at a minimum of 16Gb for RAM. Ideally I'll get an SSD as well.

I don't mind paying decent money for something. I just don't want to find that I create a couple of VMs and the laptop grinds to a halt.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)

dan-572483 (12/4/2012)
I would say anthing with at least 12GB of RAM. That way you can run VMs for a domain controller and two cluster nodes without having to wait an hour between clicks.

You don't need that much RAM. I have 8GB of RAM and I could study for the exams just fine.
For the DBA exam (where you'd need the most virtual machines) the maximum count of servers that need to be running at the same time is 3. (two clustered servers and a domain controller). This is 2GB RAM for each of the servers (the domain controller can work with 1GB as well) and 2GB for the hosting environment. You don't need to run heavy stuff on the servers anyway.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Chris-475469
Chris-475469
Say Hey Kid

Ok thanks for the advice.

I'll bear that in mind when I make my choice.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.