Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Read data from Excel and while inserting getting data type error

Read data from Excel and while inserting getting data type error

Author
subramani.rudrappa 78855
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
I am reading data from excel sheet and inserting in to temp table something like this

SELECT * into Temp_table
FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'Excel 8.0;Database=C:\PB.xlsx',
'SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]')

In this,we have particular column "Obejct ID".
In Object ID column starting few rows will have integer data(example-100,200 and 300) and few rows will have alphanumeric data (5000-55526-6563).
when temp table is created this column Object ID would have created with data type INT.
so when it tries to insert alphanumeric data for the upcoming rows it will throw error data type mismatch.

How can i overcome this problem?

Please Note:Since we want to make this extraction and loading dynamic,data type might change from excel to excel and table should be created based on the data type we have in excel everytime.
Ronald H
Ronald H
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Usually the first 10 rows of the file are used to decide which type the column is. So if you always use the first row as a dummy with an alphanumeric value, you never go wrong here.

Let me know if that will work for you.

Ronald Hensbergen

Help us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2+2=5 for significant large values of 2
subramani.rudrappa 78855
subramani.rudrappa 78855
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

Yep,you are right.
But in that case, if first 10 rows are integer then we might have to hardcode some sample values in the first row so that table will be created with the desired data types.

any other alternative way to overcome this hardcode....??
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Yes there is. You can set the TypeGuessRows registry property to change the amount of sample rows.
(the default is 8 by the way, not 10).

More information:

What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Jason-299789
Jason-299789
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

There is also another way to change the way the Excel drivers 'determine' the datatype of a column and that is to use the IMEX=1 switch on the connections string.

I dont know if you can use it in an OPENROWSET command or the impact it will have in regards to all other columns on the temp table, as I've only used it in DTS/SSIS in the past.

SSC Rookie

Hi,

There is also another way to change the way the Excel drivers 'determine' the datatype of a column and that is to use the IMEX=1 switch on the connections string.

Could you please brief this??
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

subramani.rudrappa 78855 (11/30/2012)
Hi,

Could you please brief this??

Did you read the article I linked to?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
subramani.rudrappa 78855
subramani.rudrappa 78855
SSC Rookie

Hi,

sorry i did not go through the link....

i just checked now,it is providing good info.I will try that and let you know the results...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.